heat question

Just wondering if there's anything I can put underneath the carpet to insulate the Jeep a little more. I just took my carpets out for a good spray wash, and thought that I'd try to get it insulate before putting it back in.

In the winter months, we have tempurature as low as -30 Celcius, and I thought of either some spray foam, or that pink insulation...any ideas?? thanks

Reply to
Shazam

Shazam did pass the time by typing:

Depends. You may want something that will drain and not allow water to collect and rust. The only good way is to glue the insulation down, but that makes hosing it out impossible. Spray foam will crush under normal use and pink insulation depends on air pockets to work so it works well to fill cavities but sucketh as floor insulation.

Go down to a local carpet store and ask if they have any remnants of high density foam backing. Even then it's fairly cheap but most carpet places will have oddball leftovers and usually they can be had for free.

The other option is metal faced bubblewrap. It stands up _ok_ to abuse. You can find it in big rolls at your local hardware store. Better for firewalls or making your own sunscreen.

Reply to
DougW

If your floors are anything mine in the winter, there's always some ... actually a lotta ... water there ... what's up with jeeps anyway? So if that's the case, there's not much imo can be done in the way of insulating the floor ... heat will just transfer through the water. My solution for the cold winters up here ... never buy a 4 cyl. In the past for some vehicles it was the custom to install a "winter" thermostat to get a little more heat ... and I remember one very cold day out on the highway taking out a floor mat and screwing that in place in front of the rad. You might consider those "flaps" over the rad for winter.

Reply to
Bowgus

Bowgus did pass the time by typing:

Actually, isn't there a blower mod to use a higher capacity motor that pumps out loads more heat?

-
Reply to
DougW

Up here when buying new ... a luxury I will never see ... there is what's called the "winter package" ... heavier blower, block heater, other stuff like heated butt warmers ... but if the engine isn't providng the heater core with enough hot water to begin with, all you'll get is a nice cool breeze ... imo.

Reply to
Bowgus

Actually, during a cold spell last winter, I had the Jeep running about 30 minutes in the morning before leaving for work, and the seat was hard & cold. I've done the cardboard thing in front of the rad, but someone said that was bad, and when I'd go out of town, I'd come clean to overheat.

As for insulation & drain plugs....do the plugs actually work?? I had loads of water come spring melt, so I have no idea if it came in with me, or splashed from underneath...needed a towel to soak up the water.

I had another thought....what about getting some "press plates" from the newspaper printing room...I think I can get them for like $1 a plate or something like....thin aluminum sheets, and maybe stuff some type of material in betweek 2 plates, and then put my carpet in. Sure that only takes care of the floor part, and not anywhere else!!!

Reply to
Shazam

That is for the 79 to 90's CJ's and YJ's. We can put a monster GM heater blower fan in. It puts out radical volume, but it still needs hot water to work.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Figure heat rises.

Insulating the sides and the inside of the hard top will hold the heat in even if the floor is a block of ice. (think igloo, you can sit in shirt sleeves inside)

Someone even sells liners for the hard and soft tops I think.

Mike

Shazam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

As long as it is under the carpets, I would think closed-cell foam would work fairly well - both for temperature and sound insulation. This is the same stuff used in Ensolite sleeping pads in camping. Neoprene would also work, but would be more expensive. You could either buy several of those and patch them together, or you can buy sheets of it in varying thicknesses from kayak shops.

I would paint the floor VERY well first before laying anything down, and remove it in the summer if you run with the top off much. I wouldn't glue it down permanently, because condensation is likely to cause problems between the metal floor and any insulation.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

And maybe don't insulate around the console are ... I get a lotta heat outta that area of my Cherokee :-).

Reply to
Bowgus

oops ... are=area

Reply to
Bowgus

Maybe there's no, or poor flow, to your heater core?

Reply to
Bowgus

I know the blower isn't working right now...and at the moment, I don't really need it. Started working only on medium speed...Did me reasearch, and changed the resistor pack...that wasn't it, then found out that it might be the blower switch....haven't changed it yet...hopefully it isn't the blower that's shot, so maybe that's why I had poor heat last winter.

I realised I probably won't put insulation under the carpet, but I noticed rust starting to show up....any ideas for that?? I thought of using that undercoating stuff...sort of "tar in a can"...good idea?? Thanks

Reply to
Shazam

What are you driving?

Mike

Shazam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

'think igloo'?.. I was thinking of emigrating someplace warm..

Reply to
Mike

LOL!

Mike

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

POR 15 ... or so I've been told ... I'll likely be doing that this summer.

Reply to
Bowgus

Reply to
Shazam

I read on one of the TSB sites that the ground wire on the back of the dash panel comes loose or the bolt strips out which causes the heater to have fits.

Mike

Shazam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain