HELP 1991 wrangler 4wd jumping

Hello, I have a 91 wrangler i have owned for a few weeks, we took it in the mountains for the first time last weekend first time to "test " the 4wd, in high range it acts like it 'slips' for a fraction of a second every 100 feet or so on snow or ice, it doesn't do it in low range, just in high, also, it is difficult to get into low range.. any ideas ?? Help..

thanks..

Ian snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
shooter

First, realize that the reason for restricting 4WD to loose surfaces is so that the tires CAN slip. This is especially noticable in turns, but it occurs all the time since there is no way to keep all 4 wheels turning at exactly the same rate. It will be more noticable if one or more of the tires is worn more than the others or if you have mixed brands on. The 4HI slip may well be the shift linkage just a little out of adjustment - you adjust it by setting the clamp on a rod just forward of the transfer case. Those do slip and let you wind just barely in gear, but if it goes back in by itself it's probably normal ties slippage.

As for 4LO, it's go> Hello, I have a 91 wrangler i have owned for a few weeks, we took it

Reply to
Will Honea