Help!!!!!!

Year, make, model, engine, would help.

e.g. typically the crankshaft position sensor but could be totally hosed fuel system, etc. etc. etc.

Some models will give you diag codes if you turn the key on, off, on, off, on.

GG proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

It sounds like your starting system is OK, you have another problem, almost certainly in the ignition system.

What is your Jeep? Something modern with electronic ignition and fuel injection or an oldie with a conventional ignition and a carburetor?

Does it run normally once it is running? Check engine light? Anything else strange?

Jeff DeWitt

GG wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Sounds like yer battery is dying slowly, but that's just at first glance. More info! Get a multitester and check?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Hi guys,

I need your help... my jeep doesn't start... Yesterday after work my Jeep didn't want to hear about starting... when I turn the key the thing (sorry I'm not much of a mechanic) starts turning but it doesn't start. I got a couple of friends of mine to push the jeep and after a couple of tries I jump started it. I drove home and once I got in the driveway I turned it off and I tried restarting about 8 times and every single time it started first shot. Tonight (~6 hours later) I tried starting it again and it didn't go... I tried boosting it and nothing... again the "thing" turns fine it seems like I have a lot of power coming from the battery but nothing.

Any ideas what it could be? Or where I should look? If you can forward me any diagram of the starting system it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Giuseppe.

Reply to
GG

Ah so you pushstarted it then? I'm not sure from this:

If the charging system is good then the battery may hold a charge shortly, so you could crank it after running it a bit... If you had a digital multitester you could have you jeep on, then turn it off and watch the voltage drop from the battery, although if you check right after turning it off the battery will of course lose a little bit... I'd check it an hour after you turned it off.

I've seen people just connect the jumpers to the batteries and try to crank it that instant. I've found that if you connect them and let the other car charge the battery for a few minutes before you start cranking it would work... However all this is only if it's the battery is dying. Check the terminals for crud also, I was working in a garage and we towed some guy's car and when he came to pick it up it wouldn't crank... We were about to sell him a used battery but then someone else took the cables off and cleaned it all and then it cranked right up.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

It is a 4L 6Cyl, it is a 97 model. I did try the key thing to read the codes (ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON) several times but they don't come up. Any idea why? Yes once it is running it runs normally and there is no engine light on.

Giuseppe.

Reply to
GG

If it is the battery shouldn't it start when I boost it with another car? I tried it and it didn't.

Giuseppe.

97TJ, 4L, 6CYL
Reply to
GG

Key question, when you try to start it and it won't start does it seem like it's spinning over normally or does it sound slow?

I don't know how much you know about cars so please don't think I'm being insulting but lets get to the basics here.

You have to have three things for the Jeep to start, fuel in the right amount at the right time, spark that's strong enough and at the right time, and a starter spinning the engine over fast enough for it to start.

If any one of those isn't right the car is either going to give you a hard time starting or is going to fail to start at all.

I get the feeling your Jeep is spinning over normally but just isn't starting, is that correct?

If it is try turning on the engine like you are going to start it but don't turn to the start position, do you hear a motor noise coming from the back? You should be hearing the fuel pump for a few seconds after you turn the ignition on, then it should stop when the fuel pressure builds up.

Assuming you hear the fuel pump then try taking a spark plug wire loose and holding it a half inch or so from the engine (insulated pliers are a really good idea for this!), and have someone spin the engine over. I suspect you won't see a spark, but you should see a nice fat blue one.

If all that is so (no spark) your next job is to find out why. Others here have a lot more experience in troubleshooting these systems then I do, but one thing I would do is check all the connections and make sure everything on the ignition system is securely plugged in.

Jeff DeWitt

GG wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Yes I pushstarted it... I'll check the battery. What should I use to clean the terminals?

Thanks! Giuseppe.

Reply to
GG

Don't worry! I don't know that much :) Yes it is spinning over normally but it doesn't start.

The fuel pump is going and it does look like I'm not getting any spark!

Giuseppe.

Reply to
GG

Reply to
reconair

A corroded body ground can act like that.... I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to a metal contact on the body to see if it then starts.

Up here in the rust/salt belt those mesh body ground cables rot out easy then the starter sucks all the juice and doesn't leave enough power to jump the bad body connection.

Mike

Mike Romain

Nope, his starts with a push.

Mike

rec>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

Are there any problems that cannot be caused by a bad body ground?

How about this one?

Just bought a Pickup (not a Jeep - mine's off the road for major restoration). The wipers turn off whenever they want. Last night when I was driving it home, the engine sputtered for just a second, when I turned on the high beams. Didn't do it every time I turned them on, but at least five times.

Reply to
Steve Foley

The craziest thing Mike every told me was that a poor engine ground was the cause of that slow leak in my spare tire.

Dang if he wasn't right!

It has been my experience that poor electrical connections are the most common cause for vague and occasional electrical problems.

Reply to
billy ray

Damn!! I'll need to check that when I get home. And to think I was getting ready to pull it off and stuff it in the tub.

Reply to
Steve Foley

LOL!

I live in the rust belt and see soo many things like not enough power for spark all because of that damn body ground. Including things that use the body ground like wipers with an attitude and headlights that stagger the engine when turned on....

What make of truck?

Mike

Mike Romain

Ford F-150. I was looking for something to haul lumber 1 mile to a house I'm fixing up. I was actually looking for a 2 wheel drive because they're cheaper. There just aren't too many around in Massachusetts. My only requirements were an eight foot bed, and a new inspection sticker. Looks like I got exactly what I asked for.

It rattles enough to remind me of my YJ.

Reply to
Steve Foley

I had a '66 Plymouth wagon that, parked with the key out, turn the turn signal on (shouldn't work with the key off) and the radio would come on (which also shouldn't work with the key off.) Not bad ground though, bad harness. To the OP: have you tried bumping the starter instead of grinding it? Sometimes they lite better if you hit it, let it go round a turn or two, then release the key... Something about building pressure in the fuel rail or something.

Reply to
Clay

Yes, but he said "after a couple of tries", it may be that the couple of tries caused enough vibration to get the bad part functioning again.

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Roma> Nope, his starts with a push.

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt