Sarky I NEED YOUR HELP!

I want to do a coolant flush on my 99 Altima but I'm not sure if I have to bleed the system. Do you know the directions on how to do a coolant flush. If you could help me it would be great or direct me to a site where i could get that info. Please e-mail me if you can. Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

-- Sergio

's Profile:
'60View this thread:
552

Reply to
Sergio

Sergio wrote:

I'll just write it here, it's really nothing too fancy.

First off, make sure your engine is cold. Don't do it right after you shut if off. Secondly, turn your ignition key to "on". Don't start the engine, just turn the key one position before you actually crank it. Turn your heater control (on your dash) to the maximum hot position. Turn the ingition key to "off". Now, go look under your front bumper (don't jack up the car, you'll have enough space to work anyways). There should be a palstic drain plug right under the radiator. Remove it and drain all the fuild into a container. Now, remove the radiator cap (the one where it says not to remove if the engine is hot). Right next to this cap, there should be a small hose that connects to the rad, remove the clip holding it and pull off the hose. Now, remove the coolant reservoir (I don't know the exact location for your car, but the hose you disconnected leads to it). To clean this, just flush it with a hose or something. You may need to use a small brush to really get all the dirt out. Install the reservoir back in it's original position, and plug the hose back into the rad with the clip. Now, get your garden hose and put it right at the hole in the radiator. Flush it with water a few minutes, and let the water escape at the bottom INTO A CONTAINER. This stuff is pretty toxic for the environment. Now, install the plastic drain plug under the car. Clean your rad cap and check if it's broken. Now, mix some engine coolant with soft water. Do half and half, 2.5L water - 2.5 L coolant (for my car, anyways). Pour it into the rad, slowly, let the air inside the rad escape. Install the rad cap. Now, start your engine. Let it get kinda hot (you can rev it in neutral if you want). If it starts to overheat, shut it off right away, you did something wrong. If everything is good, let the engine cool down a little. Add some more coolant to the rad, until it reaches the bottom of the hose that connects it to the reservoir. Fill the reservoir to the "H" mark.

That's it (Wow that was still kinda long). Check for leaks (especially at the drain plug). Every few days look under you car to see if coolant escapes.

That should be all. Remember though, I've never actually performed this on your car, so I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. Everything should work like I said, but don't trust me completely. :-)

Sarky

Reply to
Sarky

There is a bleeder screw that you need to take out when you fill the radiator or you will get air pockets. The bolt has a 10mm head and is located on the thermostat housing where the lower radiator hose comes up to the engine. The bolt will have a gold sticker near it and a brass colored washer.

Reply to
Mark Iezzi