HELP: Jeep Wont Start

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L was running fine but I had a slight leak coming from the oil filter adaptor. Yesterday I decided to change the o-rings, everything pretty much went according to plans (that bolt was hard was heel to get off) but after I replaced the adaptor refilled the oil I tried to start my jeep but it wouldn't start.

I realized that I discounted one of the wires to the distributor cap to help get to the oil filter adaptor so I opened the hood check that they were on tight,one was kinda loose so I pushed it on tight (is it possible that I fried my distributor cap). Once again I tried to start it but no go. Then I thought it might be the battery 'cause last week I left my lights on at work a really drained my battery, so I had some one give me a jump but that still didn't work. The guy who gave me the jump said it sound like I wasn't getting gas to the engine but I have a full tank.

When I try and start it the engine just wont turn over, you can here the starter engage but the engine just wont turn over. I thinking I must have just knocked something loose when I was taking the oil filter adaptor off but I cant seem to think of what it could but. I would really like to avoid the cost of having to towed to the mechanic and them charge me and arm and a leg for something simple so any help would be great appreciated.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

The first thing to do is determine why it is not turning over. It would seem that the first thing to look at, would be the battery - or possibly the connections. When you used the jumpers, how fast did the engine turn over? How easily did it start before you worked on it? If there was a drastic difference between before & after - I would then look for something you did while working on the oil filter adaptor. It is also possible that you have another coincidental problem. I would get the engine cranking first, then see if other problems exist.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

". I would get the engine cranking first, then

Well that's part of the problem, I can't get the engine to turn over.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

You knocked something loose.

Sounds like you knocked the wire to the coil loose.

Your 4.0 should be something like mine.

DougW

Dude said it wouldn't grind... read again.

My bet is the block ground wire, or the battery just took this opportunity to give up the ghost. Find the black wire that goes from the battery to the engine block; verify that it's tight.

Kyonn... do you have a voltmeter? __ Steve .

Reply to
Steve Cowell

Yep. my bad.

Or he hit the battery terminal on the starter with his wrench and blew the fusable link.

Reply to
DougW

DONT LAUGH, but the only thing that was wrong was that I replaced the wires to the distributor cap in the wrong order/place.

Reply to
Kyonn Gowans

For future reference, 'turn over' means that the engine is turning... you had us on a merry chase with that one! "You can hear the starter engage but it won't turn over" was the wrong thing to say... you meant 'She turns over but she won't fire". __ Steve .

meant that the engine was turning, but no fire.

Reply to
Steve Cowell

Heh.. I misread it right the first time. :)

So, the engine went, "Rrr Rrr Rrr Rrr Rrr" and not, "Click Click Click"

Least that's better than "Rrr Rrr VRoooooOMMM Chunka Chunka BOOM Griiiiinnnnnnnddd EEEEK!"

:P

Reply to
DougW

He might remember fusing himself :-)