Help needed: I broke off a transmission/transfer case bolt

Hey Jeepers-

This past weekend, I installed a new exhaust system (with cat) on my

1995 YJ (2.5L). While re-installing my skid plate, I snapped off the single nut/bolt assembly that goes through the rubber bushing(s). FYI: this is the single bolt that goes through the transmission/transfer case "outrigger" pointing towards the driver's side of the Jeep. I'm assuming that this setup must be designed to keep the transfer case from twisting under load? (Please correct me if I'm wrong)...

The bolt was already pretty damaged from dragging on rocks, and I tried not to tighten it to tightly, but I ended up snapping it off anyway. I already ordered a new bolt and set of bushings (they didn't look so well either).

My questions:

Do I have to take the entire skid plate back off to properly install this nut/bolt/washer/bushing assembly? Or can I just work around the skid plate?

Any pitfalls to look out for?

I didn't get a good look at the assembly it in great detail (as it is still attached to the "outrigger", but I'm assuming the order (from the bottom) must go:

Nut, Fender Washer, Skid Plate, Fender Washer, Bolt, Fender Washer, Bushing, Outrigger, Bushing, Fender washer, Nylock Nut

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin J. Ostrowski