Help please (AGAIN!!! #%$**)

6 Cherokee 4.0

I tried starting her the other day but left her in gear. She lurched forward up onto a curb before I shut her down. Not the first time this has happened... I was really surprised when she would not turn over. All of the makings of a dead battery... Very strange I thought...

I compression started and drove her home. On the way, I noticed a "GEN" light is showing. Drove for a while, still will not turn over. Actually, the starter barly cranks. Acts like a dead battery. Solenoid clicks in, very very very slow crank. Lights shine bright and do not dim when the starter is engaged.

I replaced the starter (we tested the old one at the store and it did not spin...) put the new starter in. Same thing. Checked the inline fuse. It looks good.

Any thoughts?

One thing I wish I had done was to check the replacement starter while still at the store....

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advancec

TWR

Reply to
Tom Russell

Sounds exactly like one of the cables going to the battery or starter is loose/defective/dirty/corroded.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Roy J

Get out a multi-meter an test the resistance from the battery terminals to the starter...with the battery disco'd, remember. If the resistance is more than about 100 OHMS, which it should actually be nowhere near, pull your cables and clean the connections. While you are at is, put the multi-meter to the battery, and check to see how many volts it is putting out...the bright lights don't mean all that much. They are still fairly bright at 10 volts, but if your battery is putting out less than 10.5 - 11 VDC, you have issues and need to change it, as well. A fully charged battery that is in good condition will hold a charge of about 12 - 12.5 VDC, sometimes 13, and will hold that charge for hours, even with the lights on and the radio playing. At least 4 hours, in my experiance.

Reply to
Joseph P

Bingo.

Loose ground strap. The nut had come almost undone.

Problem fixed.

What next????

Grrrr

Thanks again.