Help with Crank Position Sensor - 89 Jeep Cherokee LTD

Electronic shops sell contact cleaner. It is really handy for all the sensor plugs on the old beasts. WD40 is a water displacement fluid and solvent and can be used effectively as a contact cleaner. The real stuff works or lasts better though...

Then a tube of dielectric grease really helps on the rubber seal skirts of the plugs. Even the stuff they call 'spark plug boot protector' works well.

Our old 88 needs them done every couple years, just had to do the TPS yesterday due to high starting rpms again. We do take it out to 'play' and have buried it in mud deep enough last year to have the mud pour in through the door speakers, so I don't mind the maintenance. :-)

Mike

NT wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Mike:

Thanks for your note.

I think that I'm experiencing more than one revolution. I usually takes about 5 -10 seconds of cranking to start (but it always does).

Reply to
NT

Ours is exactly like that too. The starter sounds fast but actually turns the engine really slow and one revolution seems like a long time. I have added ground paths and keep all the connections clean and still... It 'always' fires up though.

This subject has been gone over a lot and unless it is a radical change noticed, and then something is broke, it seems to be normal for that computer system. After 91 they changed to a different computer.

Try cleaning the plug and sockets on the throttle body, they do make a difference in my starting when dirty. Same for a nice new distributor cap and rotor, they make a large difference when they get dirty.

Mike

NT wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Actually, the simple act of plugging and unpluging the connector a few tiems will usually work, but the cleaners aid by removing more of the oxide that forms. You can get small brushes to scrub the contacts but that's not really required unless the suckers are growing fuzz. BTW, if you use WD40, blow it out and get the connector dry before sealing things up. After sitting for a long time, the residue from it can actuall cause more problems.

Reply to
Will Honea