Jeep Crank Position Sensor

Hello all. I have to change the CPS on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 eng). Has anyone changed one of these recently and have any input on the easiest way to get at it? It's in a horrible location to try and reach. Thanks :-)

Reply to
Sara Brown

I haven't changed mine yet, but since its a fairly common failure I did take a look at what it would take and did a 'dry run' putting a wrench on the bolts to get a feel for the job. I decided it wouldn't be any fun to do beside the road with a hot engine... :-p

You can get at it either from above or below, but either way you have to move carefully and reach around other parts to get the wrench on the bolts. A small socket wrench (1/4" drive) with a universal joint and selection of extensions makes it pretty easy. Personally,I'd go at it from above. Don't lose the bolts, they're shoulder bolts that align the sensor correctly. Just work slowly and carefully, and its not that big a deal.

Reply to
Steve

I tried looking on Mitchell repair site and it doesn't show a procedure for the crank sensor.

Reply to
m6onz5a

The Jeep Factory Service Manual does.

Reply to
Steve

Just as a quick follow up: I found that by riding the front of my Jeep up on a set of ramps and then disconnecting the front drive shaft I was able to lie under it and with a 3/8" ratchet and a long extension I could get a 7/16th socket on the two bolts and it wasn`t to difficult getting the sensor off..I had little luck from above.

Reply to
Sara Brown