High beams stuck on

I have a 1999 Jeep wrangler and last night on my way home from my night class. My high beam will not ture off all the way. When I turn my low beams the high beams stay on just not as bright. And the blue dash light stays on like the high but just dim also. I did install some hella vision plus headlights (55/100 watt) I do not know if this has any thing todo with it I put them in OCT I do not know if that has anything to do with it or not. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

If you used any of the stock wiring to get power for the Hella's rather than use a relay for direct power, the switches will overheat and melt down.....

The stock wiring should only be used to trigger a relay to power the big lights.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Oh I did not know that.Do you guy have any clue on what I may need to replace? I hope it will be cheap and easy.And any of you guy know how I should wire up the relay for the headlights. I have done relays for my offroad lights is it very munch diffrent for the hella's? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Oh I did not know that.Do you guys have any clue on what I may need to replace? I hope it will be cheap and easy.And any of you guys know how I should wire up the relay for the headlights. I have done relays for my offroad lights is it very munch diffrent for the hella's? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Hi Jamie, You asking us to look at your teeth over the phone, analogy. You told us you have a hundred watt lamps, that will need additional relays as Mike said. Find the instructions via a shop that sells them. Then trouble shoot with at least a voltmeter. A friend makes a very good living fixing f*ckups:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Probably the headlight switch, the dimmer switch and related connectors. Not all will be bad, but at least one of them is.

I hoped Santa would bring me a winning PowerBall ticket. I didn't get my wish either, so don't feel too bad.

basic standard techniques. Fused power from a source that can deliver the current, relay driven by the normal headlight signal.

Probably not much different, but don't forget the FUSE! Do the job right, no crimp connectors, no black plastic tape...

Reply to
PeterD

What I do is run two relays, one for the low beams, one for the high beams.

I cut into the wires at the front driver's side corner on TJ's and put the relays there. The I just use the stock wire that turns on the low beams as the power trigger for the relay or feed them to pin 85.

I run two 10 ga. lines back to the power tap on the power distribution box or to the battery positive with inline fuses in them for relay power on pin 30.

This makes for amazingly bright white light coming from even the stock lightbulbs because it gets rid of all the switches which rob some of the power at each connection.

Here is a link on the use of the standard light relay or 'Bosch' style relay:

You now have damaged something....

I would guess it is the highbeam switch. You might also want to turn them on and 'carefully' feel the back of the headlight switch to see how hot it is. If it is smoking hot, it likely needs replacing too.

Good luck!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Thanks I will do that thanks Jamie.

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I just changed out the headlight/dimmer switch and it still is doing the samething I think it is a relay. Do you guys know where the relay is for headlights? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

There's no relay used on a stock headlights. Just in the fog or driving lights circuits, and all aftermarket auxiliary off-road lights. More than likely whomever installed your headlights used the stock circuit to trigger the relay, so look for an extra hot wire coming off your battery to lead you to it. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Is it very hard to replaced the high/low beams switch? I think that there should be a relay for the headlights.But I checked all the relays none of them go to the headlights.You all have been a big help. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I have a TJ manual with schematics and I looked through the front lighting wiring diagrams. The only relay I find pertaining to the front lights is a fog lamp relay which is probably only there to switch them on and off with the high and low beam headlamps. Apparently there is no relay for the headlamps, at least I can't find one in the schematics. Hope this information helps.

Les '07 Wrangler X 2 Door 6 Speed

Reply to
Les

Yea you saved me a lot of time looking for that relay. Thanks alot Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

usually the bulbs are ok as they are i would bet the multifunction switch is bad did the trun signals not cancel after turning steering wheel?

Jamie Mello wrote:

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

I'm sure he got plenty of business from you.

Reply to
Some Guy