How hard to swap a 4 for a 6?

Hi again,

I am looking at some really clean YJ's whose only shortcomings are their 4 cyl powerplants. Are there any differences in the rest of the powertrain from a 4 to a 6 cyl. Jeep? Any suspension differences? I guess basically what I am asking is, if I buy the beautiful little Jeep with the 4 banger, can I drop in a new 6 cyl motor later without having to change tranny's, springs, etc.?

Thanks, Dan Hoskin

Reply to
Dan Hoskin

aGraham

t-case, too. # of input splines are different.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Just buy one with a 6 banger you will be money a head, happier going up hills, going off road. It is sort of buying laundry soap with out having a washing machine.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Just buy one with a 6 banger you will be money a head, happier going up hills, going off road. It is sort of buying laundry soap with out having a washing machine.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Why not put a V6 in there and keep a shorter transmission?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Bret Ludwig did pass the time by typing:

I'd suspect the tranny won't hold up well. Probably won't bolt up either without some interesting adapter work. That and the ratios are designed around the 4.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have read that the AMC I-4 sports the same bell housing pattern as the GM V-6 2.8 litre family. Starter location may be a problem, but you should be able to bolt up a V-6, if you are clever enough. The larger 4.3 litre V-6 will not fit, as it shares the same pattern as the GM V-8s and the old inline 6.

The 4 cylindre transmission should be able to handle a small V-6 engine, but when you count up the work needed and the anticipated performance gain, it may not be worth it. On the other hand, if you needed a replacement I-4, it might be hard to find and/or expensive. If you had an appropriate V-6 and all the accessories at hand, then this might be a worthwhile swap. It is amazing what people will do, to make use of marginally appropriate spare parts.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

A six it is then..... Thanks, Dan Hoskin

Reply to
Dan Hoskin