4 or 6 cylinder.Camry

I am looking to buy a new Camry, but undecided bedew a 4 or 6 cylinder. Your opinion please, advantage and disadvantages of each.

Reply to
JoJo

Should be a no-brainer; about like the same question on any other car.

6-cyl, pro: More power and slightly smoother operation. Con: higher initial cost, slightly higher maintenance cost, and noticeably higher fuel consumption. if it actually breaks, it'll cost a LOT more to fix. 4-cyl: Basically the inverse of the above. On my '97 with the four, I get an amazing 32 MPG out on the highway, nothing to sneeze at in this day and age. Power is adequate, perhaps like the 6-cyl Sable I had before, or a bit better.

For some reason, 4-cyls seem to suffer more with the AC on. Accelerating uphill with the AC on is not unacceptable, just... unsatisfying.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

JoJo wrote: || I am looking to buy a new Camry, but undecided bedew a 4 or 6 || cylinder. Your opinion please, advantage and disadvantages of each.

6 cyl. kicks ass. When you pass on the highway, you need a 6.
Reply to
SHARX

Scott Schuckert wrote: || In article , JoJo || wrote: || ||| I am looking to buy a new Camry, but undecided bedew a 4 or 6 ||| cylinder. Your opinion please, advantage and disadvantages of each. || || Should be a no-brainer; about like the same question on any other || car. || || 6-cyl, pro: More power and slightly smoother operation. Con: higher || initial cost, slightly higher maintenance cost, and noticeably higher || fuel consumption. if it actually breaks, it'll cost a LOT more to || fix. || || 4-cyl: Basically the inverse of the above. On my '97 with the four, I || get an amazing 32 MPG out on the highway, nothing to sneeze at in || this day and age. Power is adequate, perhaps like the 6-cyl Sable I || had before, or a bit better. || || For some reason, 4-cyls seem to suffer more with the AC on. || Accelerating uphill with the AC on is not unacceptable, just... || unsatisfying.

LIVE LIFE and get a 6.

Reply to
SHARX

Have you kicked the throttle on one of the 2.4l VVT engines now installed? Mine can certainly squeel the tires.... I believe that is the limit unless I get new improved rubber.

I also found in test driving that the i4 handled a little better. The six seemed a little front heavy. My theory is that the design was tuned for the I4, which accounts for 75 mper cent of sales, apparently!

Reply to
JH

Reply to
JoJo

From what owners of either cars told me, the Honda offers a more sporty ride than the Camry. Can't confirm that so, try both.

JP

Reply to
JP

undecided

Accord quicker --Camry quieter --other than that little to choose between the two--both reliable and wel built cars that retain their value. Both feature middle of the road styling and its chicken or duck as far as I am concerned. Own one of each. A 92 Accord 4 banger and the 99Camry xle v-6.

Mike

Reply to
Artfulcodger

JoJo wrote: || Thanks Guys I thing I'll go with the 6 over the 4, but I am still || undecided between the Accord and the Camry, from what I have been || reading they are both excellent cars. What's your opinion on Accord || vs Camry? All response much appreciated.

Gang members drive Hondas.

Reply to
SHARX

Hi,

get the 6 but make sure its been serviced regularly.

If you drive carefully you can get the same fuel economy as the 4 at the same rate / performance just let the torque do the work and don't rev the engine past 3,000.

If you need the extra power, its there.

Hit the 4-6,000 mark and it really moves - as does the fuel guage.

rgds

Peter

Reply to
Peter

For me, doing my own servicing, would pick the four cylinder. Access is already limited with the transversely mounted engine for front wheel drive, with the six cylinder, it's packed into the engine compartment even more tightly. If you always have someone else service the car, it doesn't matter (except for slightly higher costs). If you're changing your own spark plugs or timing belt, the differences become significant.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

We have our second Camry, both of which were 4 cyl. We tried the 6 cyl. when buying them in '88 and '99 but didn't think the extra cost, crowded engine compartment, and repair history being slightly higher on the 6 cyl. was worth the difference. The '88 is still on the road in our family and has about 225k miles without anything but normal upkeep maintenance. THAT makes an excellent sales pitch for the 4 cyl. in our opinion. Plenty of pep for us, and I guess if you want more response, the six will satisfy you. Drive them both, then decide. Either will be a great car.

Reply to
Phyl/Ron Johnson