How heavy is an Unlimited hardtop??

Does anybody have any experience with an Unlimited's hardtop?? Can it be lifted by two guys without serious injury? ;-) Seems like it would be considerably heavier than a regular TJ hardtop

Regards, Jim

Reply to
JimT

I lifted the top on my 1980 Ramcharger by myself. It was a metal top. I would think that the top on the unlimited wouldn't be bad. Maybe you can try it out at the dealer?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
twaldron

Jim,

Check the video tape what came in the glove box of your Unlimited, "Operating Tips, Jeep Wrangler...."

These instructions recommend 4 people remove the top from Jeep Wrangler Unlimited because it is heavier than the regular Wrangler hard top.

Storage of the top once it is removed is also an issue, Jeep recommends you store it in the normal horizontal position, and not upside down or on the end. The video shows 4 guys removing top and placing it on a couple of two by sixes, 2X6 placed next to the jeep on the floor. Moving very slowly not sure because it is heavy or for impact to the video production.

Also discussed, and a reminder is to open the back hatch window, and leave it up for the removal operation.

You will have 8 torx bolts to remove, etc. etc. Check owner's manual for details.

Good Luck with you Unlimited

Gus Hrncir

281.498.5740
Reply to
hrncir

I don't think "considerably" is accurate. It should be a little heavier, but two guys should be able to handle it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Or you build one of these:

and one guy can do it by himself. This shows the top being taken off a TJ, but it would work fine on the unlimited. I originally built this lift to take the shell off my pickup. I don't know how much the truck shell weighed, but I'm sure it's more that the lid on the Unlimited.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

It makes sense, since the top is 15" longer than the one on my TJ. My dad and I removed the hard top on mine so I could take the soft top off and put it away for the winter. It wasn't bad at all, but it wasn't light either. In addition to weight, the additional two people can help counter the tendency for it to see-saw if you aren't balancing the center-of-mass just right.

I'm not certain, but I think the aluminum cap on my short-bed full-size pickup is lighter. The polymer material and the full-size windows add plenty of weight over sheet aluminum. The retailer I bought the cap from said the fiberglass caps are a lot heavier than aluminum.

If I were you, I would have at least three or four people just to be on the safe side, at least for the first removal. It would be an expensive lesson to learn the hard way if two people really isn't sufficient.

Probably mostly for better filming and for smooth coordination between the people without putting unnecessary stress (ie twisting) on the top.

This is to clear the spare tire and brake light without lifting extra-high.

HTH,

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Dean,

What did this coust you? I built a system also (though not nearly as nice) and it ended up costing me about 70% of the cost of a "store bought" system. For all the time I put into designing, sourcing parts, and building it, I would have been just as happy to pay the extra money.

Erik

Reply to
83 CJ

It's been a while since I built it but I can give your some estimates:

Winch $20 (on sale) garage door pulleys $10 straps $15 misc bolts & stuff $15 Square steel with holes $ 5 safety chain $25 lifting hooks $free (scrap steel) Total $90

My prices might be completely out of line, but, between my "senior moments" that is the best I can recall. Now you might be able to buy one for less and for a lot of people that is probably the best way to go. For me I like doing this sort of stuff, and I couldn't even begin to find something that would lift the top off of a pickup when I did this. (Pre-internet, now days I wonder how I lived without it)

The top lifts for sale that I've seen use this type of winch:

and they don't use the safety chains my does. (OK, so I can be a bit anal about heavy, expensive stuff hanging over my head and other cars. ) There are other guys that have put together systems using rope and pulleys, but of all the systems I've seen I still like mine the best. I've even thought about making and selling these lifts, but the product liability issues keep me from even looking into it.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The game is called follow the bouncing web site. I sold the Monograms business and needed to move the site. Since I wasn't getting a free ride from Monograms anymore, I went to the free hosting provided by Comcast.

The page is going to move again in the not too distant future. The community I live in decided to pull fiber to every home. Wa Hoo!!! The rumor has it that I'll get at minimum 100 mbps up and down to the internet. And unlike Comcast they won't care if I host a site from my home. (they actually want to encourage such things.) Did I say WA HOOO!!

Dean The true definition of teasing is having a fiber connection ON your property and not being able to connect to it.

Reply to
Dean