*How to for a U Joint.....*

Hi, changing a front end u joint the right side. 1st time doing this. Before i go ahead start this weekend thought I would ask if anyone has a good "How to" step by step web page or anything else? So I might make quicker,safer work of this task. Although I have help, I have been told if I do this wrong the results could be disastrous. :-|

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated......

-Brian

91 YJ 4.0

o_o_o_o /| ,[_____], |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

Reply to
Brian

Bill H will likely chime in with a web site that is pretty through on how to do it. Only problem is that he lives in the southwest where ice, snow, RAIN, and 10,000 salt trucks don't darken his doorstep. If you live north, the hub will be a real stinker to get loose from the steering knuckle.

Lot of choices > Hi, changing a front end u joint the right side. 1st time doing this. Before

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I JUST did this, had a "took took" sound.

rent a slide hammer, It was a lot of grunting to get the hub out.....

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Wow!

You managed to get the hub out in one piece with a slap hammer!!!????

Crap man, those are sealed hubs and normally pull apart into pieces way before the spindle is going to move.

Or can/did you do it leaving the axle nut in place and slap the whole works out?

I use a sacrificial bolt and cut the wheels one way then the other so I can hammer it out from behind.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I shouldn't say this....I used an air chissel...got it out far enough I could use a BFH from the front. I managed to destroy one of the bolt holes in assembly the with the chissel which I had to fix. The guy that changed them last time, whenever that was, managed to bend the yoke enough that it required some force and ignorance to make it work. Wasn't a fun job...im not the best wrencher but I'll try anything. Learned that I don't like changing those u-joints though....

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Harbor Freight sells a U-Joint tool kit, sure is easier that using a 3/4" deep socket and a BFH.

They go on sale now and they for $19.99, good for the shop and for trail repairs. Also here is a link to a little better quality tool.

Rusted

Looks like the ujointtool guy is out of business - seemed a neat tool too

Also here is a link to a little better quality tool.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thank you all :-) Fantastic info. I will be doing this 4/30-31 and will post what happens. Glad i have a motorcycle esp with gas prices...

Reply to
Brian