"new" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Ripoff or what? You decide. Why all the fuss over the new Wrangler Unlimited? AMC did the same thing over 25 years ago and called it the CJ6. I can see Chrysler's point, though. Why spend money on engineering innovation when we can just resurrect (steal) good ideas from someone else?

Reply to
j carter

  1. Willys introduced the CJ-6, not AMC. AMC built the CJ-8.
  2. Chrysler bought out AMC, which bought out Kaiser, which bought the model designations, designs, the name "Jeep", etc. from from Willys.

Where's the ripoff?

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

hi bill, you havent seen the spy photos if the IFS WK?

Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I vote for a Libby front end on a Durango.

Reply to
gregw45

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

But, what is the rip off relative to the Unlimited? Hint: there is none.

You (and apparently only you) seem to think that AMC is the car company of the century when clearly they are not. The fact remains that the Unlimited is a revival of the Scrambler idea, which grew out of the CJ6 idea. I see no rip off relative to the Unlimited, but I do agree that the Liberty is a bad idea from the perspective of offroading, but it seems to be a pretty successful idea anyhow.

Reply to
CRWLR

I can't see the rip off idea either. I for one am glad that they are bringing back a longer wheel base jeep. They just need to do it in the rubicon package.

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

Yes, wouldn't that be cool? An Unlimited Rubicon. I can't see any reason why the Rubi options could not be installed on the Unlimited.

Reply to
CRWLR

Thats what I'm waiting to see. I came real close to getting rid of the CJ and buying the rubicon, but decided to wait on the unlimited and in a rubicon package.

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Being pissed about the Liberty is like a corvette fan being pissed about the chevette.

As far as actual Jeeps go I fail to see how fuel injection, a wider track, better breathing heads, and a model that comes standard with lockers, limited slip, four wheel disk brakes, and 32" tires is not evolved.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Actually I think it's an old thing that I wouldn't understand ;) I get the Jeep thing... I just don't limit the Jeep thing to vehicles that qualify for an Antique license plate. The Corvette and Chevette shared the chevy bow tie, like it or not Jeep is a brand these days not just a model.

You're stuck on Willys and think anything newer is by definition not as good. "attnews" is stuck on AMC and thinks anything newer is not as good. Some day someone here will be chiding some owner of a 2025 Jeep "AJ" (manufactured by those idiots at the FordCooperMazdaDaimler corporation no doubt) about the fact that the TJ Rubicons were the last "Real Jeep". And how the coil suspension is far superior to the "AJ's" Fully independent, variable wheel base, solid non-axial inertial damping wheel arms. And how good ol' fuel injection was much better than the new fangled Solid fuel atomizing combustion system. I just hope it's not me.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

While I couldn't agree more, I believe it is clear that history will judge the TJ Rubicon to have been the last, best Jeep. Good RAH quote, btw.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Agreed on both counts.

Reply to