I need some guidance.

Hello everyone.

I don't know *anything* about jeeps--other than they're cool and I've always wanted one. I'd like to buy one so that I can get deeper into some interesting desert hiking trails. I'm bored of the trails that I can get to using my car.

So how do I buy one and not spend a lot of money? I can probably afford to spend $4-5k on a hobby car--like a jeep, but I couldn't justify it for any more than that. It's not something I'm going to use that often and it seems unwise to spend that much money.

How much is too much mileage for a jeep? Someone in another newsgroup told me that they considered something in the 90-100k miles, low. I wouldn't, but then I don't know anything about jeeps so maybe that's normal--I don't know.

what should I look for or is there a website that I can go to learn some of this stuff.

I don't want to do any hard-core off-roading mostly because I've never driven a jeep and I'd probably get stuck somewhere.I just want to get into some of the 4x4 only trails that I read about on the topo maps.

Thanks,.

Alex in San Diego, Ca.

Reply to
nightrider.36

Before going into the fact that Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :)

You should check around for local 4x4 clubs. Check your local 4wheel parts store. Take a look at some of the rigs. Then start figuring up the cost of this addiction you are about to take on.

A basic Jeep should be fairly inexpensive, but my advice is to start out with a plan so you buy the right base vehicle.

The next largest decision is how much of the improvements are you going to do yourself. The more work you do yourself the lower the costs.

Reply to
DougW

I always wanted a Jeep, too. And, like you seem to, didn't take it seriously as a daily driver or whatever. I made a few bucks and bought a brand new Land Rover Discovery. I loved it at first and hated later. I met a woman who had a '94 YJ (Jeep square headlights) with 500K+ miles and she'd only ever changed the oil. I traded my Land Rover for a new '04 TJ (Jeep newest w/ round headlights). My TJ is the best thing I've ever owned.

This may be more advice than you want to hear, but it seems you've caught the bug anyway. Dump your car and buy as new a Jeep as you can manage. In my opinion, a stock Jeep with high traction tires is a great place to start and will still get you further than you can imagine. It'll get you to work, too.

first and eat later.

"nightrider.36" writes:

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

The further from the main roads, the more reliable a vehicle you want. You don't want a vehicle you know nothing about, breaking down 20 or more miles from the nearest, probably expensive, tow truck. Any vehicle can break down, but a $4,000-$5,000 used vehicle, probably ten years old or more, will need a thorough going over before you can trust it far from the paved roads. Fixing it up may be a good way to acquire that Jeep knowledge, that you really do need for those 4x4 only trails.

Now that you have a reliable vehicle, you will also need maps, maybe GPS, satellite phone and hiking gear for a safety net. Advice about clubs is good, but maybe you go into the wilderness to get away from society. Don't forget to tell someone where you are going, where you plan to park the Jeep, and which direction you will be hiking from there. How far can you walk? Consider a mountain bike as an emergency spare.

Paz,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

... and the Jeep gives you one other thing.. That big silly grin. But then, it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand... yet.

I'm on my 4th jeep, most in here have had MANY more. I've had two CJs (older Wranglers) one 05 Liberty ( the new little cute ute) and now my 06 Wrangler Rubicon. My experience says much the same as you've already heard. Buy the BEST BASE VEHICLE you can afford. If it has a few modifications that's ok but you CAN get a long ways with a base model. If it doesn't have good tires on it plan on buying a set, and plan on it costing you $700-$1000.

Unlike some of the guys in here, I don't get the chance to go play very often. Hopefully this will change next year. When I do I will start making mods. I will prolly go back to work just so I can feed the fever.

I recommend the Wrangler. I'll even go one further (and this will likely get me blasted) and suggest one with COIL springs. My CJs both had leaf springs, beat my kidneys to death. The Wrangler is so good looking and you have so many top options, it's a convertible and a 4x4 combined. I'm telling you, I think it's the most fun vehicle out there bar none.

Take your time in shopping, stick around here and ask tons of questions., Some of these guys really know their stuff. Some of them are just full of shit. You'll be able to tell the difference in short order.

Personally I think 100k is a little high in the mileage department. Not that they are worn out by then, but 100k mileage is all over the vehicle, not JUST the drive tain. I would say stay under 75k if you can. That way you'll get some fun before you get to start turning a wrench.

Kate

06 Rubicon.
Reply to
Kate

that was good advice :)

Kate

Reply to
Kate

PS - Alex - you NEVER have to justify a Jeep.

Reply to
Kate

I can't believe I forgot to mention that, Kate! When I come home -- from the trail or from an errand around town -- my wife frequently asks "What are you smiling about?". I just shrug my shoulders "ah nothin'".

...it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...

Daniel Bibbens

is the largest dedicated jeep discussion groupI've found on the web. Mostly dedicated offroad nutters there - a goodbunch who know everything about tires, lift kits, and serious muddin'. If you're looking for a serious offroad vehicle, my understanding is that nothing beats a Wrangler, provided it's properly outfitted. I'm a Cherokee fan myself, having owned a couple and just purchased a lighly used one with 90k miles on it. For the price you've estimated you could get a pretty decent Cherokee with 75-90k miles, depending on model and year. I personally think the Cherokee is the best fusion of offroad functionality and real utility vehicle, since it provides more cargo carrying capacity and better "on the road to the trail" comfort. 2 people with day-hike gear pretty much fill a Wrangler, while 2 people with week-long hike gear easily fit in a Cherokee, and even four people with gear could fit. The wheelbase is longer than the Wrangler though, so it's not as good at rock-hopping.

If you decide on a Cherokee (don't get a Grand) then you should look for a 1998-2000 Sport or Classic model with 2- or 4- doors, 4.0l engine and 4x4. Transmission is up to you, but obviously manual is better for real off-roading, though they are somewhat hard to find on a Cherokeee. There's nothing wrong with an automatic transmission in my book, but then I don't consider myself a hard-core off-roader. I use my jeep to get to unusual places to that I can hike/camp/fish/ski/kayak the places, not so I can drive around when I get there.

As for milage - lower is always better, but 200,000 on a jeep that hasn't been abused is pretty normal, I'd say. It may not look like much when it gets there, but that's up to you. So if you buy one with

75-100k on it, there's a good chance it will need $500 in repairs (i.e. new radiator, new alternator, whatever) in the next year but it'll be worth it. Aim to spend $4k and you'll leave room for unexpected repairs and maybe some upgrades.

nightrider.36 wrote:

Reply to
Weatherman