Question 'bout my new-to-me 95 Cherokee Sport

Hello All,

To replace my soon-to-be-dead '86 prelude I decided to go with something completely different and purchased a '95 xj 4d 4x4 with 125k miles on it. I feel like it was a good deal and I've always wanted a jeep. The one issue that I can see so far with it is that it's got some rust along the rear of the passenger rocker panel. The metal's pretty much rotted through for about 6 inches along the bottom of the panel starting at the rear fender and moving forward. My question is, what is the best way to deal with this? I'm not an idiot with tools but I don't have any experience dealing with car rust. Is this something that could be fixed with a DIY patch job or is it wiser to take this to a pro?

Also, side question- if you were broke and wanted to start tinkering with a jeep what are some cheap homebrew mods you would do yourself (can't afford to lift her yet, can't afford a new exhaust, etc)?

Thanks, Bill Happy Jeep Purchaser

Reply to
ueberbill

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Good Lord- here's hoping it's not THAT bad. I'll definitely pull the carpet. The jeep's from New Orleans (didn't flood, thank God), so it's not seen a whole lot of road salt (if any).

Thanks, Bill

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
ueberbill

A car that bad can be fixed, but whether it is worth it or not depends on the (collector) value of the car and how bad you want to learn to weld/pay people who know how. You should be able to buy the rocker panels and pop rivet them on, but of course they are better welded. Mig welders are fairly easy to use, economical and do a good job.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Somewhere along the line they started using galvanized steel for the body work and that should help limit the rust somewhat.

As for modifications..... the first thing would be to change all the belts/hoses/coolant/motor oil & filter/ transmission fluid & filter/transfer case fluid/ gear lube/ power steer/brake fluids and a complete tune-up.

I prefer synthetics or synthetic blends bit there are plenty of guys her who have 200k-300k using nothing but dino spit.

You have to decide if the extra benefits are worth the extra cost for yourself.

Being as this vehicle is from New Orleans makes it all the ore imperative to check for water damage and mud in places where it shouldn't be.

A word of advise..... a lot of the brand name products you are used to using, ones tat your father and grandfather used are no longer approved by Jeep. Thing is...... those brands still advertise themselves as being okay for any vehicle.....

An get yourself a build sheet right off. It is available at no charge from your local dealer or via the Jeep web page. All you need is your VIN number.

You will also want to find a copy of the Factory Service Manual on paper or CD

Reply to
billy ray

Question from left field: What was the price you paid? Just being nosey, ignore me if you think me rude .

(95 XJ Sport 4Dr. 4WD(of course!) 4.0L 300K mi.)

noneofyourbusiness

This is basically everything XJ, including a large support group on the forums that are entirely too into our cheap reliable tough little SUV's

Now that said... if you have rust through in the rockers of a 95 you might want to check it all over. XJ's are a crapshoot with rust I've seen old daily driven 200k milers with none at all, and a 1996 60k mile rust belter that had a rear spring shackle popped through the floor....

Reply to
Simon Juncal