10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

My Beetle's engine has been running hot, gas bubbles in the carb, and it doesn't have the performance it used to have? I checked out everything like:
* Tune-up and * compression check
Do you think it might have anything to do with the 10% ethanol Gas?
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks In Advance!
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

It very well could cause a loss in performance. I need to locate a station near me that sells 100% gasoline...
Les
Darn, I just filled up with the stuff. I,ll tell you in a fortnight!!! Oz John
modern oxygenated gas needs to run richer. You might consider a larger main jet in the carb. Hotter is a sign of running lean.

Try the airport. 100low-lead aviation fuel is pure gasoline. You'll know if you have the 'good stuff' if you take a sample in a clear container, it'll be a light blue color.
Chris
Speaking of airplanes....my 1964 Cessna 172 is certified to run on 87 octane unleaded gas WITHOUT ETHANOL. Now I can't find it. Thanks to the corn farmer lobby and the misguided concept that we are sending less money to the Arabs by using ethanol. It actually takes more fuel to produce and truck ethanol to the end user than it saves. Plus, there is about 10% less energy in ethanol than there is in gas. The end result: We put 10% ethanol into the gas and have to buy 10% more gas.
But I regress. There are a couple of easy ways to detect ethanol in gas. If folks would like, I'd be happy to expound. Let me know.
BTW....Aviation 100 Low Lead contains 2 grams of lead per gallon. My plane was certified for the old 80/87 Avgas with 1/2 of a gram of lead per gallon. I spent $2,500 undoing stuck exhaust valves in the Continental 0-300D engine after the lead deposits clogged everything up. - - - - Al in Spokane 1970 VW Convertible 1964 Cessna 172 1967 Honda 90 All Air-Cooled
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Jul 29, 8:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Don't know about your bug but it sure causes problems with my chainsaws and other small engines. Especially when it's hot.
Randy
On Jul 29, 9:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- I found two good links.
http://www.vw-resource.com/additives.html#ethanol
Here is a quote from the link above: "However, no one has picked up the subject of older carbureted cars. The addition of ethanol to gasoline causes big problems in a VW engine, as ethanol makes the engine run 4% leaner. To compensate for 10% ethanol in gasoline (called E10 in some places), you must increase the main jet by two steps (e.g., from X125 to X130) and the idle jet by one step (from 55 to 60), as 10% ethanol makes the engine run 4% leaner."
Here is another good link: http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/jetting.htm
Here is a quote from this link: "Why Jet? If it's too rich, the extra fuel will wash the oil off your cylinders and wear out your pistons, cylinders, and rings quickly (no oil), in addition to building up deposits on your valves, heads, and piston tops. If it's too lean, the engine will run very hot, misfire, and can eventually lead to a burnt valve(s). Get it right!"
On Jul 30, 3:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've never heard so much crap in one posting at one time. E10 is slightly higher octane and sold as "super" in iowa and unleaded is the regular blend at 87 octane while the E10 is 89. The engines run better, not worse as they were designed to run on fuels with higher numbers. The alcohol blends run cooler. You do not need larger jets. The E85 I run in my ford is 105 octane and is better on vehicles over 10 to 1 compression ratios. Alcohol is slower burn than gas so it can be more complete with the proper timing and compression ratios in higher ratios but E-10 will not show any negative problems such as described or need any changes in carb or timing.....Change the fuel filters after switching from unleaded to E-10 as it will clean the tank and lines and the clogged filters can cause the problems. Dennis
>Good god guys, I've run E- 10 in my vw's for 20 plus years and I've

LOL.... "crap" because one guy thinks it.... sweet...
anyway, over the 20 years or so i've been driving we are subjected to 10% ethanol at regular intervals...usually as the prices go up... and yes, it always made a difference... we don't just get it in our super or supreme we get it across the board...
(FYI the engines were designed to run on lower octane fuels, not higher)

No friend, higher. I don't know much about a lot of stuff so I usually end my postings with the quote that "this is just my opinion of course". I did not do this on my last posting because I do know about octane ratings, alcohol, and gasolines. I stand by all I said. You did get me to check some of my older books( these books are older than your driving experience and back when gasoline had some octane to begin with). For example the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on 91 octane regular gas. If you timed with lower, cheaper gas with lower octane you should retard the timing to compensate or you could risk pinging under full throltle and or the engine running hotter than it should. Yes, hotter with to much advance on lower octane, cooler with higher octane. Not my opinion, just the facts. Dennis

91 octane regular gas<
The label on my '68 VW Type 1's gas filler flap specifies 91 RON. Typically, the conversion from 91 RON to US octane is 87.
Al Adams
Alcohol requires more fuel-to-air than gasoline therefore mileage tends to suffer. Dual-fuel systems use computer controlled fuel injectors therefore they do not require different jets. Carbureted engines do better with rejetting.
However, in my modest experience so many ACVWs are out of tune so it's hard to tell when mileage suffers from A10; it's just plain lousy anyway.
> I stand by all I said.

you are entirely correct Dennis... it is "fact" that the 1968 vw did call for 91 octane fuel.. i can snap a picture of the inside of my 1968 type 1's fuel filler flap for you... and then i can highlight where it specifies 91 RON rating... which is usually 4 points higher than the fuel rating we use here in the good ole USA(" (R+M)/2 " )... just do a google search on " Octane Rating " you will find what i said above is not just my opinion, it is true... so fill'r'up with 87 (R+M)/2 (US rating system) octane and time is spot on to what the manual says and you and your vw will be very happy....
for comparison i have a 1641 engine in my bug... it is built with a cam that is slightly more agressive than a stock cam(cb cheater cam) and has a static compression of 8.5:1... higher than anything vw ever set our cars at...it ran beautifully on regular (87) fuel.... i added a turbo charger and can do 17PSI of boost on premium(93) without detonation... i think the stock bug will be great with 87 octane fuel that it was intended to use..<G>
Dennis wrote:

Are you aware that how they rate octane has changed over the years?
Les

..
Ok, I give up.... I will not give up on the little bits of first hand knowledge I have like the blends I've made in my garage with E85 and regular gas and how it runs. In the past two years I have driven over 60,000 miles on E85 and almost that much on E10 and the various blends. I will continue with what I know and what I learn. In 1963 I got my drivers lic. and took the test in my 57' oval and I've never lost my love for my vw's and cars in general. I will not bother you guys again since you seem to have much more knowledge and experience that I could ever absorb. Have a great time and thanks for the laughs and knowledge shared. Even though I have no plans to post here again, I do respect your opinions and what you have read. Dennis
>Ok, I give up.... I will not give up on the little bits of first hand

that's just plain ole sad, Dennis... no one discounts your "experiences", as we can't tell you what you experienced..... but that is exactly what you implied in your post to me, that my experience was wrong... we only stated that your information was incorrect... as a matter of fact, your "facts" were not wrong, but your interpretation of them was... I assume it was just because you didn't realize the octane rating...
now... personally i think the "i'm mad, so i'll take my ball and go home" routine is overly done and a real bitch move... but that is up to you... you've been here at RAMVA for years, to tuck your tale and run because you were questioned over a little misinformation is bullshit... but have at it...

It's turn your TAIL and run.
It never ceases to amaze me how you can come across as a dickhead 100% of the time. Congrats. I owe you a beer for such an astounding accomplishment. ;)
Chris

and you suck at this interweb thingie... wanna post the same lame reply a couple more times?