installing power brakes on a cj?

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

bill why should I throw the booster in the trash? should I listen to someone who has never installed one and is telling a bunch of scary story's or listen to someone who has installed 200 of them? just because lee thinks I am incompetent don't mean I should not do this. I installed/ fabricated a

150 hp 3 cylinder jet ski motor in a stand up jet ski that was in a national jet ski magazine that works and runs great that I get emails from people all over the world regularly. I know I am new to jeep but I think that upgrading brakes on a jeep is allot less complicated than some of the stuff I have done.

oh here is another email i got back from a person selling a wrangler booster on ebay "you can use the CJ valve and the Wrangler MC and just adapt the lines"

carmine

Reply to
Jet

Unfortunately it might have Carmine.....

As I said, I don't know for sure, I am not a design engineer.

'If' the caliper pistons are the same size on the CJ as YJ, then it might work. They 'are' different part numbers and sure look different....

For $40.00 extra you can put the proper master in from the auto store.... Sell the YJ one for whatever you can get for it or just turn it in for the core charge, it is worth $15.00....

Sure it might 'work' just fine, but is a 20 or 50 foot longer stopping distance worth it?

Mike

Jet wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Del I am listening to a guy on ebays advice because he is the owner of a jeep junkyard and has been in the jeep business for 27 years and claims to have installed 200 wrangler boosters on cj's. I can't believe that this guy has put 200 peoples lives at risk to sell $70 brake boosters. I hope this world has not come to that. carmine

Reply to
Jet

Carmine,

If you are running bigger tires on your CJ (i.e., larger than 31"), adding a Wrangler booster and master cylinder won't give you enough stopping power. The stock brake system (CJ or YJ, vacuum assisted or not) is designed for 29" tires and won't handle the rolling mass of big meats, especially in low range where precise braking control can make the difference between a fun afternoon and a rollover.

If you are going to do this, do it right. Harold Off at Off Again Offroad in Farmington NM sells a power brake conversion that uses a two-stage booster and GM master cylinder from a 1/2 ton truck. The kit is complete, its a simple bolt in, and it works.

Another option is to use the booster bracket from a YJ with a booster - master cylinder combo from a late 70's full size Dodge Van, nearly a bolt in, although you may need to buy an adjustable brake linkage from Tri-County Gear in Pomona Ca to get the pedal height right.

Both of these options will give you the braking power you need for big tires with good pedal feel.

Admittedly, these options cost more than the eBay special you bought on the Internet, but you get what you pay for. Aren't the lives of your family and yourself worth it? [Not to mention the lives of the innocent people you might kill with the jury rigged system you bought on the cheap.]

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

On 07 Dec 2003 10:22 PM, Robert Bills posted the following:

I believe you are wasting your breath on this one.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Robert thank you for giving me some options on what to do with my brakes. I bought the jeep with 32" tires on it that have about 25% life left on them. I have 2.73 gears and don't want to go for the cash to regear it so for the sack of brakes and gearing I think I will go down to 31" tires this spring. thanks carmine

Reply to
Jet