Instrument panel upgrade

My Cherokee is a very basic Jeep, it's biggest options are the 4.0 and AC. Being that it's so basic the instrument panel consisted of a gas gage and speedometer.

I got another instrument cluster from eBay which I believe to be from an earlier year but it's got all the instruments.

Today I finally got it installed, and it works but...

Speedometer, trip meter, tach, gas gage,volt meter all work fine, and I now have a tach, trip meter, low fuel light, and volt meter, none of which I had before.

Oil pressure gage is pegged and temp gage doesn't move. I see there is a different sensor listed for vehicles with lights then for gages, so I'll replace that.

I'm more puzzled by the temp gage, there just seems to be one sensor listed so I'm wondering if maybe the sensor is bad. As the Jeep only had an idiot light before and it would just come on if the engine got hot how would you know if that sensor went bad? Anyone know how to check the sensor?

One other (minor) thing, is that when I first started it up the check engine light came on for a few seconds and went out... I've got a bad downstream O2 sensor so the light has been staying on, and the annoying shift light doesn't work anymore either. I think I'm going to take that light panel from the old IP and put it back so the lights work right again.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

More than likely you have a connection that is bad, usually when any of the gauges either peg or read zero it is a connection and or ground not making a connection. If you can locate a wiring diagram you may be able to find the problem easily. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

There are 2 temp switches, the one on the t-stat housing is for the electric fan and the one at the rear of the head (on drivers side) is for the gauge. If you had idiot lights before you will have to change this switch to a

sensor. After 97 the same unit was used for both lights and gauges, I haven't seen too many post 97 models with idiot lights only.

Snow...

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Snow