Interstate Trouble

Greetings.

I have a 92 YJ 4.0 with 31s on it. I bought it with 120K and have put maybe 5K more on it. Yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to take it down I-80 for a weekend visit to a town 3 hours away. Unlike most Wyoming 1-80 days it wasn't TOO windy, but the Jeep was having a hell of a time. I figured it was the fact that my Jeep came with 3.07 gears and those leave me without 5th gear... But as I kept going it kept sucking gas. I stopped real quickly and I noticed that the piston slap seemed much louder and my oil pressure was low.. When I kept going the pressure came back up to normal, but it kept sucking gas. In 60 miles I used about 25 bucks in gas.

So my question is. Is this a problem due to 3.07 gears that I need to fix, or a problem with the engine, or both. When I gave up the quest it slapped hard for awhile then it sounded normal after a bit. My temp was normal and the oil level is good. I'm using syn 10-30. I'm guessing that a re-gear would do the trick, but I want to see you all think. In town and up till now the Jeep has run very good. The only problem I have ever noticed is that when I run on the highway for a short time and then stop I can smell a gassy smell.

Thanks for helping D

Reply to
Dave Jost

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I wonder if you might have a stuck injector and when the engine is working hard like that the oil is getting diluted. That would explain the gassy smell, the low oil pressure, and the louder piston slap. I had that happen in a VW years ago (I know).

You might also have a sensor (temp sensor?) that is bad and confusing the computer into making the engine run really rich.

Jeff DeWitt

Dave Jost wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Bill, the street tires are long gone.

Jeff, would it explain low oil pressure only when idling? How do I check it? The sensor I need a computer to check, but I'd like to avoid taking it to the Jeep shop. The guys there will tell me that I need Mopar parts by the crate load.

Thanks, D

Reply to
Dave Jost

What was your engine rpm at, say sixty? I am thinking that 3.07 gears and

31 inch tires might be too much for even fourth gear. If so, then regearing would fix a lot. Street tires would help too, if you want to run it on the street.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Dave,

I'm not sure about the oil pressure. It might be that you have a good tight engine and even with the oil thinned out the upper pressure is still being limited by the oil pressure relief valve, but when the engine is idling the pump isn't spinning nearly as fast and the pressure is far more dependent on the viscosity of the oil.

I haven't tried this on a Jeep but if you can remove the injectors from the cylinder head but still have the fuel and electrical connected switch the ignition on so the fuel system pressurizes and then check the injectors. They should all be tight and dry. Any that have fuel coming out of them are bad.

Some of the guys in the newsgroup must be real experts on these systems and can tell you for sure if I know what I'm talking about, as I said I haven't had to do this on a Jeep.

300,000 miles and no problems with the fuel system, exhaust, AC, heater, suspension, transmission, universal joints...

Jeff DeWitt

Dave Jost wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I don't think that's it. I ran 31's on my TJ with 3.07s and while 5th gear was only for downhills, and there was alot of clutch slipping to launch, it was nothing like he's describing. My milage improved 1-2 mpg when I went to 4.10.

The OP was getting 6mpg - can't blame that on the tires.

Reply to
Ed J.

Reply to
RoyJ

I get the best gas mileage keeping mine at 2300 to 2500 rpm.

Mike

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I did some searching and came across an older string titled something like "YJ excessive... mystery sensor." It seemed to be going down the same alley I am.

My question, can anyone describe to me how to check those sensors. Like I said earlier I like to avoid my dealership like the plague.. I just need a sensor primer per say.

Also I think a regear is mandatory. I've been searching for a cheap 8.8 that I could regear with the front at the same time, and then slide under, perhaps it is time to increase the search. Any help on that would also be great.

Thanks, D

Reply to
Dave Jost

Reply to
RoyJ

I have 3.31's and 33's and very seldom use 1st low. 2nd for starting with 3rd low for running usually.

I also forget about 5th and get about 23 mpg.

Mike

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You have something seriously crapped out from the sounds of it.

I would start by opening the distributor cap and seeing what the posts and rotor looked like.

Then I would be opening the air filter to see if it is plugged. If blocked with oily dirt, suspect plugged rear CCV tube or grommet hole.

Next I would be pulling the plugs to look for a really clean or dirty one.

If clean suspect too much gas or a bad injector, if really dirty, suspect electrical.

Mike

Dave Jost wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Pull the dipstick... smell the oil.. smell like gas? Bad. Fix raw fuel problem, change oil.

Put fuel pressure gauge on fuel rail... start engine... stop engine. Fuel pressure go down? Bad. Fix injector. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell