Intro/Difference between AMC 304 and 360

Greetings. I've been browsing the group but this is my first post. I've been a CJ owner since around 1990; I'm on my second one right now. Had a break in ownership while I was stationed overseas.

Here's my question. I recently did a swap from a 258 to a 304 in the Jeep. I rebuilt the 304 mostly on my own and as this was my first attempt, it is now broken. (I'm overseas again and my wife said the guy at the shop said, it was a piston skirt).

Anyway, if I need to rebuild this thing (again) I thought I might as well "upgrade" to a 360. Is this possible? What are the differences and what would I have to change? Just the crank, rods and heads?

I've googled the heck out of this and can;t find anything.

Thanks in advance for any help and have a cold one on me while you think about it.

Reply to
83 CJ

The difference is 56.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Here is another angle for you to think about. How about a 4.2 crank in a

4.0 block using the factory fuel injection? Good emssions, decent mileage and the reliabililty of modern fuel injection. Join the Strokers Group and spend some time poking around. This is the way that I am going when the time comes. 275 ponies and over 300 lbs/feet of torque, those are V-8 numbers, without the addded weight of a V-8 up front. I have included a couple of more very good sites with lots of great information. Dino Savva has done a tremendous job with the second website.

Jeff White

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Try Go to the tech forum. There's a lot of information on there about the 360 & 304, including parts interchangeability, and some experience and how-to stories. TrailMarker.

Reply to
carrollcaboodle

Externally, they're the same! :)

Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Bill Where did you come up with the weight for the 258? The heaviest weight I could find was 525 lbs; less that what you produced for the V-8. Also, pre-1972 horsepower figures were gross, not net. No emissions equipment, no alternator, no power steering pump. Not exactly real world. That accounts for the most of the large difference in horsepower numbers between the two pages. Yes, there is nothing like the sound of a V-8. But the reality, for most of us in this country, is that emission testing is becoming mandatory and fuel prices are becoming an issue. The stroked 4.0 offers decent mileage(around 20mpg), the ability to pass emission standards that a 1970's V-8 can't and the reliabilty and economy of modern fuel-injection. With at least 275 lb/ft of torque at 1500 rpm and over 300 lb/ft from 2000-4500 rpm, even a person that only offroads his CJ could be happy. If the 0-60 and quarter/mile times that Dino posted on his website for his XJ are accurate; then a 4.0 stroker in something as light as a CJ could be running about dead even with the new GTOs and Mustangs.

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Reply to
Jeff White

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for all the input and help. I've checked them out and think they will help.

Reply to
83 CJ