Is the Rubicon really worth the price?

Hello,

Recently sold an older Cherokee (1990 4WD XJ) and then moved to SC. Now looking for another Jeep and was wondering if the Rubicon was realy worth the extra $$$. Also wondering what the best year and style for purchasing a used Wrangler was.

Thanks, Rory

Reply to
Rory

It all depends on your planed usage. If you will never off-road it or drive in the snow then you don't need the Rubicon. If you don't plan to change from the stock tires, then get an SE and save money. If you think you might do bigger tires (just for looks), then get a Sport or Sahara (4.0). If you plan to off-road (even moderate) then the Rubicon is the way to go.

If you buy a used one, all the above still applies with the addition of 97 or newer (TJ years).

my $0.02

Reply to
JimG

"....... wondering if the Rubicon was realy worth the extra $$$."

No, but it's a fantastic rig right out of the box. You can keep the pricing reasonable by ordering without all the accessories, A/C, etc. plus, if you look around you may be able to find a dealer willing to do a feww hundred over invoice. Apparently DC has some incentive money on them now.

As the man says, "it depends." IMHO, the best all around SWB Jeep that's available in any numbers is the 97-present TJ. Next is the 91-95 YJ Wrangler, which are out there in significant numbers and can be picked up very reasonably.

My heart-stoppin' favorite is nearly any year CJ, but they are prone to severe rust damage in wet/Northern climates and are becoming more & more difficult to find in good condition. Clean, rust-free stock CJs are beginning to command premium prices from outfits like Collins Bros. Jeep and Austin Jeeps, etc.

Reply to
Jerry McG

looking for another Jeep and was wondering if the Rubicon was realy worth the extra $$$. Also wondering what the best year and style for purchasing a used Wrangler was.

Reply to
twaldron

I'll second that.

Reply to
dave

It depends also if you want to buy and drive or buy, work on it, drive, work on it, work on it, work on it....drive

You get the picture.

Bill

looking for another Jeep and was wondering if the Rubicon was realy worth the extra $$$. Also wondering what the best year and style for purchasing a used Wrangler was.

Reply to
William Oliveri

One correction - YJ years - 87-95 :-) JimG

Reply to
JimG

It is all what you are going to do with it. I bought a fully loaded Sahara with 30" tires and trak-lock differential with a standard tranny for 23K including tax title and tags. I have gone off road 3 times since February, once at Paragon, locally and the last was on a military post on the hummer trails. I do not do rocks because rocks cost big $$. The TJ performed flawlessly in streams, mud and some serious up hill climbs. I will be heading to WV next month to do some off roading. The TJ is my week end fun along with my HD, my 2 cents.

Reply to
HarryS

third. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

YJs were made from 1987-1995, but the six didn't get fuel injection until 1991, that is why they were mentioned, I believe Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

Rory, I have had my Rubicon since November of 2002 and am completely happy with it. Is it worth the $$? For me, yes, it was. The extras (d44's, lockers, ect) for me were something I probably wouldn't have done with a Sport or X version. If I had to do it all over again, I will still buy the Rubicon.

I have owned several Jeeps including a '98 TJ sport, YJ and currently own an '86 CJ. As far as best year and style, that really depends on what you plan to do I guess. IMHO, i would go with a TJ, 98 or newer. I would stay away from the 4 cylinder if your doing a lot of highway driving. The TJ has the quad coil suspension for a great ride and there are plenty of after market goodies as well. I like th 98 because, well, I had one, plus they added a defeat for the clutch/ignition in the fuse box, which i don't think was there in the 97. This is so you can rock crawl while using your ignition to stop and start you. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!

Reply to
MJ w/ 2 TJs