Tyre question - slippery slope has begun

Hi All,

I have a very stock 2001 TJ 4.0L with automatic transmission and 3.07 diff gearing with Dana 44 rear. The bug has finally bitten me and I am at a stage where I need to change the tyres. Currently I am running 225/70R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KOs on factory aluminium Icon 16x7inch rims. After doing the last run on the track, it seems that I need ground clearance, and fast. I have spent about a week researching what available in the local market and what everybody else in the club is running and the choice has come down to tyres.

1) Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs - they are only available in two 16 sizes 235/85 (32 inch equivalent) and 255/70 (30 inch equivalent). I have read a lot of good reviews about them in magazines, but nobody is running them in NZ. They are expensive and hard to find. One of the dealers said, if you blow a tyre it would be a week or two for a replacement to arrive. I do like the look of it and the reviews in mags have been wonderful.

2) BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM - they are available in various sizes and everybody is running them here. They are also relatively cheaper to buy and more commonly available. I am interested in three sizes 235/85 (32 inch), 265/75 (32 inch) and 255/85 (33 inch). I don't think I can go wider than 265s on 7 inch rims. Also I don't really want to change the rims at this stage.

The questions I have:

1) Any personal opinions on how the two tyres would perform in mud, wet tracks and wet rocks (it rains a lot in NZ).

2) Two guys in our club are running 32/10.5 R15 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain on stock TJ suspensions and without sway bars and have no rubbing at all at any stage. I was thinking, can I perhaps then go with narrower 33s (255/85R16) for now and upgrade the suspension in 3/4 months (which I can't do rightnow due to the need for spreading the budget a bit). I am new to this sport, so don't do it every weekend. I can be careful during the period while my suspension is stock.

3) How much of a power loss would it be due to 3.07 gearing. Its an auto. Regearing to 4.10 or 4.56 is in the plans, but more like 9/12 months away.

4) Which speedo gear would I need to recalibrate my speedo with 32 or 33 inch tyres. I am more inclined towards 33s as almost everybody else is running at least 33s here and following those setups is not fun with my bum rubbing on even pebbles in stock tyres.

Thanks all for your valuable input, you guys have been really helpful in the past.

Cheers TW

Reply to
TW

I drive similar terrain here in NS Canada on 33x10.50R15 BFG MTs. Work very well. No complaints.

First, I think you meant 33x11.50R15. Can't speak to the TJ, but with my XJ, narrower tires let me get away with less lift. On stock wheels though, you may find the tires rub on the inside wall of the wheel wells when flexing. You will certainly have a reduced turning radius on road or off due to rubbing on the lower control arms. Neither issue is likely a show stopper. If you do try it, be sure the tires won't catch up on any flares or exterior sheet metal. Maybe you could install some coil spacers as a stop gap before you get your lift kit.

Likely intolerable with an auto trans. Nine months will seem like an eternity, but you may be able to tough it out.

With my BFG 33s (actual 32.8"), 4.10s and a 34 tooth gear, my speedo clocks about 1 km/h faster than my GPS at 100 km/h. Pretty darn close.

When I did my daily driver XJ last year, I too was in a twist over all this stuff. I ended up doing lift, tires, and gears all in one pop. I cheaped out on gears and got used D30/35 4.10s from one of the many junked 4-cyls available locally. That got me up and running and I can now take my time with wheels, bumpers, skids, lockers, winch, etc. I've since built up a rear D44 with a Rubi air locker for little cash and no time pressure.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

BFG don't do a 32 x 10.5 - its a 32 x 11.5. If they are running stock suspension with no rubbing, I think you are mistaken and they are in fact running 31 x 10.5

Reply to
Dave Milne

Well, the Mud Terrains are the way to go. I was going to suggest you consider the All Terrains, they actually are a better all around tire for dry conditions, but you said the conditions at your house are seldom dry, so the MTs will work better. The ATs fill with mud whereas the MTs will clean themselves, theoretically.

I think the max you can put under a TJ without lift is a 31. I think that the size that will work best for you will be a 32, max. I know several guys with larger tires than I have (I have the BFG Mud Terrain in a 32 x 11.50) - BTW, can you get tires in the "inch sizes", 32 x 11.50, 31 x 10.50, etc.? - and they can't do much more than I can do.

You are going to run into gearing issues soon no matter which size you choose, but since you have the automatic trans, you might not notice. All things considered, gearing and lack of lift, I think you will be best with the 31" tire options. You can put any available width (in a 31, and most widths in a 32) on the standard rims.

Reply to
CRWLR

I have 32/11.5" in Goodyear MT/Rs on my '02 Wrangler Sahara 8 inch Mickey Thomson wheels and they are top quality tires... I advise rotating them VERY often ... I failed to do so and so they have not worn nearly as well if I had been more attentive.Also make sure your inflation is consistant like any tire.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Bratton

Thanks Steve. I'll reply to your comments in the body:

Great to know.

I did call the guy today and yes I got it wrong, he is running 32x11.50R15. I also asked him about rubbing and he said "no rubbing". Although coil spacer option does look tempting. I think 10mm OME spacer is about NZ$12 each here. Fitting should not be a big problem.

Well, its taken me about 9 months to come to the point of changing tyres, as I wanted to learn what I could do with stock TJ first, I think I can control myself for another 9.

Thanks.

That is what the plan was and I had started saving, but then things don't always go per the plan. I was thinking, I need bigger tyres for better ground clearance, higher suspension to accommodate bigger tyres, then regearing. It will take about 12 months for all to happen. Unfortunately, Jeeps are a novelty here so not many junkyards with old junked Jeeps here. Would gears from a 94/95 Cherokee fit a TJ D30/44? These Cherokees are coming here used from Japan in droves. I should be able to find some junked ones with better gearing.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

I called the guy up again today and I was mistaken about the width, he is running 32x11.50R15 on a stock suspension. It has been puzzling me for about two months now, but I have seen it with my own eyes on our runs and there is no rubbing. Last run had a lot of axle twisting and flexing stuff. This is what gave me the idea of doing the tyres first and then a little later upgrading the suspension. My logic was, if they are doing it, I should be able to get away with for a while. Tyres are on a special now and prices normally go up here in June every year.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

I have ATs currently, but they are not cutting it anymore.

Inch sizes (or floatation sizes) are only in 15 inch rim sizes. All 16 inch rim sizes are metric. I have a lot more options in finding a combination of width and height in metric in NZ for some reason. What do you think of running 265/75R16. They will be 32 inch equivalents. I don't want to go too wide because in NZ we have to keep all the tyre tread within the fenders/flares. With wider tyres, I will have to change the flares to stay street legal. I think with stock wheels and 265mm width, I should be wihtin the fender flares.

How about 10 or 20mm coils spacers all around and then running 32 inch tyres? I am sure the old springs are now starting to sag a little bit too. The only thing is, I don't want to go to 31 inch tyres now and then wanting to go to 32/33 after the lift within next few months. At the moment, tyres are on special and I can get any size BFG Muds at the same price, cool. If I can get away with 32 or 33 now for 2/3 months, I can get the lift and complete the set-up (or so the saying goes...... ...)

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it very much. TW

Reply to
TW

Have you had experience with BFG Muds? If yes, how would the two tyres compare? I have read a lot of good reviews about the MT/Rs, but have not seen them here on any truck, let alone a TJ.

TW

Reply to
TW

Yeah that's what I meant you meant ...

The gears are the same. Might be hard to find D44.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, it gives me options to search for a deal.

TW

Reply to
TW

Sorry, I have to take that back. XJ and YJ D30 gears are reverse cut. Not compatible with your TJ.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

... but the good news is that a complete XJ D30 housing is a desirable bolt in upgrade for your TJ:

Around here XJs had D44 rears from '87-90 and then only rarely. Maybe they're more common on Japanese models. If not, look for WJ, ZJ, and Isuzu donors.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sorry, but I have to say I think you need to recheck the validity of this statement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could get the Dana44 rear option seperately from the upgraded diff gearing. And in 2001, the upgraded diff gearing would've been a 3.73:1 ratio.

So, I would venture to say either you do have 3.07:1 diff gearing as you said, but with a Dana35c rearend, or you have the Dana44 rear as you said, but actually have 3.73:1 diff gearing (which will definitely be nicer when you decide on which larger tires to go with).

Reply to
Bob

The 265/75 is a 32" equivelent, but 32 x .

I guess it doesn't matter because you are going to run into other restrictions if you go too wide. I think the 32s are a great choice, they offer lots of ability for virtually everything, and the few times when you actually need the larger tires, well you can get your strap out.

I think you can use the 32s for a long time without doing other stuff, like lift and gears.

That should work. I think you will find that you will end up with 50mm spacers, but the idea is the same.

You're welcome.

Reply to
CRWLR

Correction: checked my log and I actually have a 35 tooth speedo gear.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll keep an eye out and see if something comes up. Otherwise, I'll just have to live with some new gears when I get the diff locks! :-)

TW

Reply to
TW

I found some links on the net and for 31 or 32 inch tyres with 3.07 gearing, I'll need a 27 tooth speedo gear. With 33s, I'll need a 26 tooth gear. This ofcourse will change again when I regear. The only bummer is that we have keep our speedos calibrated to pass local Warrant of Fitness requirements (safety checks). Good thing is, speedo gears are cheap.

TW

Reply to
TW

Well, I am in New Zealand and TJs exported to our local market all had rear Dana 44s. I have the build order and it confirms its a Dana 44. I have matched the shape with photos on the net, its a Dana 44. Now for the gearing, well I thought too that Dana 44s came with 3.73, but I have done the tyre rotation test and it works out to 3.07. Also, the label on the pumpkin says 3.07. So does the build order. Thus, I believe my statement is correct. This may be a weird combination, but that is how they were sent to the New Zealand market.

Thanks for your reply. It must be a Jeep thing.... TW

Reply to
TW

I think it works out to 32x10.50 R16, if such a conversion could be done. The other one I was looking at was 255/85 R16, which works out to 33x10 R16 equivalent. Because of it being narrower, I was thinking perhaps I can get away with it for a while. I went and had a chat with the local ARB/OME distributor, who happens to be a big fan of Jeeps, he was of the opinion that 32, or even narrow 33, rubbing would be probably on the local control arms with a hard turn (lock up) with full articulation. He suggested that if I get the coil spacers and don't disconnect my sway bar, it should be okay for now.

The OME guy suggested doing a max of 20mm front and 15mm in the rear should be okay. I know with the upgraded suspension I will end up with 50/60mm, which is what the goal is. 50mm spacers might be too much for the current shocks I think. The guy actually suggested I should try 33x9.50s are they will be better in the mud because of narrower width. However, I can't find that combination in 16 inch rims.

Do you think 32 inch tyres would be okay? I mean the ground clearance gain between 32 and 33 would be a maximum of half an inch, more likely to be less. I will go to the shop on Saturday and compare the two tyres side by side and how it looks under the fender. If 33 is too cramped, I'll get the

32s.

Thanks. TW

Reply to
TW