NV3500 to HD or 2WD to 4WD case hybrid/combos?

Not sure if the title was the best way to phrase that.

Looking for a close ratio 3500 for a swap into my 98 5.9 ZJ Jeep. The closest ratio NV3500s are the

3500HD and the Ram 2500LD 2WD 3500. (The regular NV3500 in the Ram 4WD 1500s is wider than those two applications)

Pretty sure there are compatibility issues with the HD trans. I believe it will not fit the 5.9 Magnum style motors. I know some people say they are behind 5.2s in Rams but other people (Including New Venture) say they are not.

Like all the info I get, for every good answer on one forum there is someone on another forum or another reply that contradicts it.

So, here's the deal:

I know the NV3500 has the integral bellhousing and splits in the middle for rebuilding. Would it be possible to split the 3500HD and put it back together with the front section from a 3500 that came off a 5.2 motor?

How much of a 2WD 3500 would have to be swapped to use it with a 4WD tailshaft housing? I found a pic of the 3500 here:

It shows the 3500 tailshaft housing is the whole back half so I'm asking the same thing but wondering if the back half or a 4WD 3500 will mate with the internals and front half of the 2WD close ratio

3500.

Also wondering if the 3500 HD internals can go into the 3500 4WD halves.

Seems like it should but you never know!

Still going two steps forward, one step back on this swap info! Every time I learn more, I learn this is also more to learn! :-)

Reply to
Z88Z

Thats incorrect. The NV3500 was behind the 318/5.2 in all V8 five speed Rams. According to the "books", all 5.9/360's got the NV4500, if they got

5spd's at all. Some years did not have that option.

Very true. Your best source would be to find a salvage yard that will help you determine what was where with its Hollander manuals.

No need, the block mating surface of the 5.2 and 5.9 are identicle. Only change you'll need to make is the flywheel, since the 5.9 is externally balanced, whilethe 5.2 is internally balanced.

You would have to rebuild the entire trans with a 4WD tailshaft and tailshaft housing. To get the right parts, you'd need a 4WD trans to make the 2WD trans into 4WD. Then, you may have issues as far as the ratios. Once again, you may be better off finding someone who will open the parts books and do the research.

See above.

They will physically fit, but will the ratios work? Find a good parts person!!!

Welcome to the world of trans swaps. Again, your most reliable info is in the parts books, not here.

Reply to
Max Dodge

While the NV3500 was behind the 318 in the V8 1500 Rams, the NV3500HD was NOT.

Only in the 2500 and 3500 series and IIRC, the 318 was not available at all in those lines. What years did not give the option of a 360 5 speed in the

2500 or 3500 series?
Reply to
TBone

Looking for a close ratio 3500 for a swap into my 98 5.9 ZJ Jeep. The closest ratio NV3500s are the 3500HD and the Ram 2500LD 2WD 3500.

How much of a 2WD 3500 would have to be swapped to use it with a

4WD tailshaft housing? > I found a pic of the 3500 here:
> > It shows the 3500 tailshaft housing is the whole back half so I'm asking the same thing but wondering if the back half or a 4WD 3500 will mate with the internals and front half of the 2WD close ratio 3500. > > Also wondering if the 3500 HD internals can go into the 3500 4WD halves. > > Seems like it should but you never know! > > Still going two steps forward, one step back on this swap info! > Every time I learn more, I learn this is also more to learn! :-)

Max - Your 5.2/5.9 trans and flywheel info agrees with what I have EXCEPT for the HD trans part.

What [b:9f0a0c5272]TBone[/b:9f0a0c5272] wrote is correct as far as my research shows. The NV3500 and the 3500HD are entirely different animals. The HD was only behind the 4.0 (straight 6 cyl I think) which has a different bellhousing bolt pattern. Evidently some people think they have HDs behind their 5.2s but (according to one post) New Venture themselves said this was never an option.

According to this site there are actually three 3500 models.

The regular3500 (4WD?), the 3500HD and a 2WD 3500 that isn't the HD but has closer ratios than the other 3500.

The 3500 from say, a 5.2 4WD Ram has a wider ratio first gear ratio of

4.01. The 3500HD from a 4.0 Jeep (not sure which Dodge) and the 3500 2WD from a Ram 2500 Light Duty have a Close ratio 3.49 first. That's the main reason I'm staying away from the NV4500. First is 5.61!! There is also a size issue that can involve cutting when using the 4500. Darn shame as it's considered more reliable than the 35xx series.

So, the 1st gear ratio I want is not available in a 3500 trans "body" that I can use. Hence, I'm looking to see if the case halves and/or internals are interchangeable. I think the safest bet is to contact New Venture myself. I don't think anybody else would have this info with the exception of someone that rebuilds trannys for a living.

As far as the gear ratios I'm not really sure what you mean, unless you are talking about the 4WD output shaft maybe not matching the 2WD internals. Other than that if I swap all the internals it won't matter. The gears themselves are what I'm after. The only issue is matching the output shaft splines to the Tcase input but that shouldn't be too hard. The HD was 4WD so that will work. If I go the other way and use the 4WD back half and output shaft I can use the Tcase that came with that trans. I would also have to use a clutch disc that matches the HD input shaft under a pressure plate that fits The problem would be if there were different mountings for the internals or radically different lengths.

Now.. I may end up going with the 5.2 4WD NV3500 anyway if the other stuff gets too crazy or isn't do-able. That 4.01 ratio isn't really a deal breaker, I'd just prefer the 3.49. I'm mainly trying to find out any or all options available. No matter what I finally end up doing, I want to at least be able to discuss it intelligently if I run across anyone wanting info about the same swap. This info wasn't that easy to get. On the Jeep forums I only ran into one swap into a V8 ZJ Jeep for the street use and two built for offroad use.

[b:9f0a0c5272]TBone[/b:9f0a0c5272] - Not sure if maybe Max is basing his info (5.9s not available with 5spds some years) on some of the same stuff I ran across, Checking out PCM prices on different auto parts sites I almost came to the same conclusion re no 5.9 5spd some years. Certain sources didn't show some 5spd parts like PCMs for - IIRC - 97/98 or 98/99 5.9s. I got so confused I called a local Chrysler dealer and had the parts dept check, they confirmed there was a 98 5.9 5spd available.

Thanks again folks - John

Reply to
Z88Z

I was just curious as to what years DC or Dodge itself did not offer the 5 speed. I know that there were some versions of the P/U that it was not offered with but the basic truck came with standard shift standard and the automatic was an additional cost option. Of course, trying to find one with a standard shift that they were supposed to come with on the lot is just about impossible since most Americans are fat and lazy when it comes to driving but such is life.

Reply to
TBone

Looking for a close ratio 3500 for a swap into my 98 5.9 ZJ Jeep. The closest ratio NV3500s are the 3500HD and the Ram 2500LD 2WD 3500.

How much of a 2WD 3500 would have to be swapped to use it with a

4WD tailshaft housing? > I found a pic of the 3500 here:
> > It shows the 3500 tailshaft housing is the whole back half so I'm asking the same thing but wondering if the back half or a 4WD 3500 will mate with the internals and front half of the 2WD close ratio 3500. > > Also wondering if the 3500 HD internals can go into the 3500 4WD halves. > > Seems like it should but you never know! > > Still going two steps forward, one step back on this swap info! > Every time I learn more, I learn this is also more to learn! :-)

TBone - Yup you're right. The 5spds in general are not too common.

Not sure where you're from but up here in New England we have the Want Advertiser. Greatest thing going for buying or selling cars, trucks, parts or anything else from guns to furniture for that matter.

Under Dodge trucks - approx two pages, about 100 entries, a lot of them don't even list what kind of transmission they have because they figure everyone has automatics. I mostly see 3.9 and 5.2 5 speeds. 5.9 5spds are much less common.

Luckily there are transmission available.

I am hoping to get a donor truck though so I can sell the leftovers and save some money on the swap but there aren't too many of those available locally.

Reply to
Z88Z