Jeep A/C and Heater on Blink !! Related ??

I am posting this message for my son. He owns a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, with 5.2 liter V8 engine. Digital climate control (single, not dual)

About three weeks ago, his a/c went out. Just giving no cold air at all. Blower would blow, but no cold air. This didn't happen gradually.... he just noticed it all of a sudden.

Now, his heater has stopped working. Blower blows neutral, ambient air, but no warm air. Engine temp and water temp seem normal, so he does not suspect a bad thermostat. He wonders if he could have a bad heater core ?

Because both his a/c and now his heater are not working, we wonder if it could be a problem common to both functions..... perhaps a glitch in the Digital climate control (again, single, not dual) ??

Any thoughts or suggestions ? Are they likely related ?

Thank you for any advice !!!

James

Reply to
James

AC cutting off can be as simple as low 134a level. Just don't add some before checking as that can cause kill the compressor.

However this sounds a bit like the blend door or blend door motor has failed.

Have him run the diagnostics on the AC system. Think this works. I'm using a 93ZJ manual.

Depress AC and RECIRC at the same time and hold Rotate the knob clockwise (right) one click.

All the lights will light up (segment test)

Release the buttons and display will show 00

Press AC and release

You will see a series of number. write these down. The numbers will repeat.

I suspect it is the blend motor.

If you do a google search for "ZJ blend door" there are a lot of articles out there. Including some youtube test videos.

Reply to
DougW

very nice info Doug, I am passing this along to him now....

Thank you very much !!

James

Reply to
James

Doug, my son did the test as you instructed, and he gets the following code:

38 / 46 / 55 / 56

What does this tell you (us ) ??

James

Reply to
James

38 - Blend Air Door Feedback (circuit open) 46 - Blend Air Door Feedback (circuit short) 55 - Blend Air Door Actuator (travel range too short) 56 - Blend Air Door Actuator (travel range too long)

Odd mix, but definitly the blend door motor system. The bad news is this is a pain in the ass to fix. So either it's going to be some time working on the problem or $$ at the dealership.

With any luck it's just a connector. From what I remember you get at it through the glove box. Follow the youtube video below, it should help.

I don't have any good diagrams of that part. But I do know replacement usually requires removing the entire dash. (a very un-fun thing to do)

While I've never used these folks, they do have some instructions.

Check youtube also. There is a multi part walkthru.

DougW

Thanks again Doug, I am passing this along to my son !!

James

Reply to
James