Jeep stopped with AC on

Last week, the service engine light was on. I went to Jeep and they said "front pinion seal leaking" and "recommends BG induction service".

This happened when I put the AC on and the Jeep just stopped. I had to turn the ignition on again.

is "front pinion seal leaking" for $160.00 and "recommends BG induction service" $145.00 normal for Jeep Sport Cherokke 2000 with 79,500 miles on it?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
yared22311

I am awestruck that the front pinion seal leak stored a code.

;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

BG Induction Service:

For a do it your self treatment:

Personally I use SeaFoam Motor Treatment. It is $5.99 per can at you corner auto parts store.

For fuel additive injector cleaning....BG 44K is also a very good product as is Chevron's Techron. If you decide on Techron be sure to get the pure Techron cleaner not the diluted cleaner with Techron.

Sometime it is beneficial to do a treatment & add cleaner to a full tank of fuel, run that tank as close to empty as you dare, refill completely with just gasoline and run that until as close to empty as you dare and then repeat the injector and fuel treatment a second time

While you are around the engine you should clean the throttle body. All you need is a can or spray cleaner and an old toothbrush

What error code shows up?

Please note that sometimes after a carbon cleaning you will need to clean or replace your spark plugs as bits can break off an lodge in the plug.

If it is over 25-30K since the last complete tune up then it is probably time for that also...

Reply to
billy ray

The front pinion seal cannot trigger a check engine light. Take it to autozone and have them use thier code reader tell you what's up.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

m33 t00!

I'm betting crudded up battery terminals or slow idle air adjustment.

What codes did it store. Ignition on-off-on-off-on then read what it puts on the odometer display.

in short, no.

Pinion seals rarely leak unless your running some big tires and putting serious stress on the box. Just keep an eye on the fluid and make sure it's not a leaky hose. I'd probably just wipe the steering box down with some paper towel and watch it closely.

BG induction service is a fancy way of saying "put stuff down the throttle body and injector rail to clean the engine intake. Same as the folks that do this.

of places do this for about $100 or so. Generally if yourengine has been well taken care of (regular oil changes) and yournot all city/stop/go then you probably don't need it. You couldjust put some Techron fuel systems cleaner in the tank and cleanout the throttle body.http://revbeergoggles.com/tb/tb.html On a low use/short trip engine, the motorvac isn't a bad idea. I had it done at about 100,000 miles while tracking down some ping.. ping that turned out to be due to a bad coil. go figure.

Reply to
DougW

Hey Doug, I've been to your site and seen the supercharger kit you've installed... If you actually drive conservatively is your gas mileage better with that thing? I've been considering a supercharger and you are the only one I know of who has one.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

You loose about 1-2 MPG because the superchargers are paracitic. A turbo would be better for fuel economy since it runs off the exhaust. The trade is where you want the power. Superchargers are for low RPM grunt and turbos are for high RPM.

Can you spot when I put on the charger?

On the highway the Jeep gets fairly good milage and will get good city milage if I'm light on the fuel. Of course if I drive like a nutjob the gas milage goes down to about 9.... :]

I went charger simply because it was easier than trying to squeeze in a turbo and didn't require a lot of custom fabrication.

Reply to
DougW

Pinion seals just don't up and leak normally, especially at those low a miles. Something has to cause the seal failure. That 'usually' means you have an out of balance vibrating driveshaft. This is usually due to a dead u-joint.

If the u-joint vibrates long enough it will also take out the pinion bearing which then allows play for the seal to leak.

Just replacing the seal for $160.00 will do nothing except line the pockets of some $tealership. The cause of the failure needs to be addressed.

$145.00 to pour some cleaner down the intake???? I personally learned to use a pint of ATF 'slowly' poured in the intake while keeping the engine running by hand to clean all the carbon out of the combustion chamber. It makes them clean as new. Others have posted good success by just pouring a pint of water slowly down the same way to shock the carbon off. The way I learned makes a 'massive' cloud of smoke, the water way doesn't.

Costs less then five bucks....

Also worth mentioning is on the older Cherokees, there is an idiot light timer that goes off around 80K miles to 'remind' you it is time to spend money at the $tealership. They will usually want to change the O2 sensor and anything else they can sucker you for before charging you an extra $80.00 or so just to reset the timer so it can go off in another

80K miles again.

At least on the old Cherokee, we could just unplug the sucker....

Mike

Mike Romain

My TJ had leaking pinion seals at 7,000 miles, in stock configuration. That tells me that quality-control at Dana wasn't what it should be, and it was either a faulty seal or it wasn't assembled properly; fixed under warranty. My old 93 Grand leaked fron the rear diff cover at 10,000 miles. Wife's '04 is starting to get wet at the pinion seals and front diff cover at 31,000 miles, but this is after a lift, so I doubt the warranty will be honored, but to be honest I have not checked. I need to change the gears anyway so I won't worry about it until then.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to