97 jeep cherokee sport acceleration problem

i got check engine codes po135 & po138. when i accelerate quickly from a stop it hesitates badly and shakes and then moves all of a sudden.i changed the 02 sensors but still have the same problem. it doesn't hesitate when i'm moving at a good speed. mechanic is stumped. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
edfisher

WOT does not use the O2 sensor, TPS and coolant temp are the primary two sensors for acceleration mode.

So, how's the throttle position sensor doing? It should have three lines. The outer two are 5v and ground. the inner one should smootly move

The coolant temp sensor is usually not the problem, and you can check that with the temp gauge.

It can also be a failing coil (which sets no codes) or any general problem with the spark side. (coil, distributor, rotor, cap, wires, plugs)

I'm leaning toward spark. How long has it been since you put new cap/rotor/wires/plugs?

For testing the TPS

Reply to
DougW

thanks doug. i haven't had any kind of tuneup since i got the car 2 years ago. the cooalnt temp sensor was changed a few months ago along w/ radiator and water pump. i'll check the tps.

Reply to
edfisher

i forgot to add that the problem only happens when i'm making a turn or after i just turned. i'm also getting a rotten egg smell.

Reply to
edfisher

The smell is from sulfur in your gasoline, try changing brands...

Reply to
billy ray

could somebody help me with the acceleration problem? i've had just about everything checked by mechanics including the main computer.

Reply to
edfisher

What were the results when you checked the TPS? My Cherokee had problems like that until I cleaned it up. Also today I cleaned my Throttle Body and it's running quite well now.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Well, you keep coming up with more symptoms, so I decided to wait and see what 'else' is also going on......

You have so far refused to accept that the TPS connection might be at fault which is the first place to look, but the stinky exhaust just screams 'plugged up cat'. You check that with a vacuum test I believe.

A dead distributor cap (if yours has one) can cause bad burn (stinky exhaust) and bad acceleration, so can dead spark plugs and you have 'no' idea when the vehicle last had a tune up.... I would check those and clean the TPS connection before spending money, but....

Anything else?

Mike

Mike Romain