AC compressor in Subaru Outback 2000

I have a Subaru Outback 2000. In the last year my AC compressor was broken (that what I was told in the service ). The symptom was: AC stopped working when engine was idle (not accelerating) and it produced a strange noise. But if I pressed a gas pedal it seems to work fine (until I release it). So compressor was changed and this year (after ~13.5 months) it happened again. Exactly the same behaviour. The warranty on replaced parts 1 year. Subaru is willing to replace a new comressor but I still need to pay for the labor ($250)

Could anyone please tell me if it really looks like broken compressor or maybe something less important (I suspect a low quality of the deallership but the nearest Subaru service is quite far)

Thanks, Val

Reply to
Val

It may be a broken compressor, but I think you want someone else to look at it.

It may just be a loose or worn out belt.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

well; I can tell you a local shop here overfilled our AC system - and it would work (great!) but occasionally the pump would just "STOP" (and I mean stop, at any RPM's) which caused the belt to slip and engine to almost die....

Might want to have some>I have a Subaru Outback 2000. In the last year my AC compressor was

Reply to
Josh Assing