Jeep wont go into gear

Yeah, I'm only seeing two notches. I lined those two up. I cant find the notch on the reverse Rail. Is there one?

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Think about it, without a 'notch' how does it get shifted into reverse? Consider there's your problem, perhaps...

Reply to
PeterD

Pete, it did go into reverse. It wouldn't go into any forward gears. Nonetheless, it's possible the reverse rail is messed up. However, it's spring loaded to get into reverse, that's why I was wondering if the three notches are next to each other.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
Hughes TrollKiller of scums 24bit & squarewheel

The notchs are what let the shift lever move the rail. Moving the rail moves the shift forks back and forth, thus changing the gears. Depending on where the lever is when it's in reverse(mine is opposite 5th gear, thus to the right and back)the notch should be opposite(mine would be to the driver's side and forward). Line it up with the other two and the trans will then be in neutral.

Reply to
Old Crow

OK, I lined up all three rails. In fact, I started the car and let the clutch out to ensure it's in neutral. It is. I dropped the shift lever in the shift cover. No, 1,2,3,or 4th gear. It just wont let me shift into forward gears. It will however, let me shift into reverse. Thoughts.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

ARGH!! Sounds like the interlocks are jammed. There are a pair of "interlock rings" that keep you from selecting more than one gear at a time. All they are is a couple of disks that slide into notches on the side of the shift rails so only one of the rails can be out of the neutral position at a time. These **might** be visible from the shift tower hole but unless you knew exactly what you were looking for, probably not.

If this is the problem, the tranny t>> My 86 CJ-7 will not go into 1, 2, 3, or 4th gear. It will only go into

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks Roy. It figures. I tried my hardest to get the 1,2 and 3,4 rails to move. Not happening. So, I guess the cover comes off. Can you tell me what parts I need to buy and from where e.g Novak. Or should I just buy all new parts for the cover seeing how I will have it off anyway. Any idea what's considered a reasonable price for a complete cover rebuild (Not including the housing)?

Also, I see lots of diagrams on the parts inside the cover. However, I've yet to see any instructions on how this comes apart and goes back together e.g. tap out this pin, jam in this nut, micrometer that part, etc. If you have instructions, that would be most helpful.

Thanks

Reply to
Jo Baggs

There really aren't many wear parts in the cover housing until the thing is completely shot. As long as the tranny had oil, the only thing that wears is the ball on the shift lever and the associated socket and spring.

As for instructions, no one has any because it's not usually a problem. Stick the parts in the cover housing and you are good to go. The only gotcha is that there are 3 springs pushing on 3 ball bearings that give you the detents on the shift rails. When you take the rails out, the balls like to find new homes in hard to find places. You can tell where these are by looking at a picture of the cover housing: look for 3 vertical cylinders in the casting just forward of the shift tower.

I suspect your problem is a somewhat worn box combined with a very firm power shift where you missed the intended gear and tried to pick both

1&3 or 2&4, jammed or broke the interlock rings.

See if Mike or Doug chimes in with some other thoughts.

Reply to
RoyJ

Roy, are the "interlock rings" In the shift cover or inside the tranny? If their inside the tranny, how do I fix them?

Also, I'm ordering all new parts for the shift cover. However, finding the actual rails (Tubes) is becoming problematic. Do I need to replace the rails?

Thanks

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Interlock rings are mounted with the rails in the top cover. If you get a full kit (??) I'd expect to get the 3 springs, the 3 balls, the 2 interlock rings, the shift lever retainer, washer and spring.

I sorta doubt that you need any parts. I th>> There really aren't many wear parts in the cover housing until the thing

Reply to
RoyJ

Roy, thanks for the reply. I don't see the interlock rings in the following diagram.

Jo Baggs

Reply to
RoyJ

Hi Jo, If you still have a Borg Warner T-5 behind your Chevy, your first gear sync ring is still in gear and your reverse lock-out will not let you across to pull it out. You may be able to pull the shift lever from it's tower like a Real transmission and stick in first, if not you'll have to pull the top cover and push the synichro back to center of it's block. Then replace the shift lever bushing.

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks again Roy. You can email me at snipped-for-privacy@northbridgesucks.com

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Roy, thanks. I got the email.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

I am with Roy and Bill H here, I think you have just jammed it and need to get the rails lined up again, it is kinda common on those old trannies. Even the T-5 jams up sometimes.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > Interlock rings are mounted with the rails in the top cover. If you get
Reply to
Mike Romain