Jeep Wrangler Cuts Out, Need some advice

After driving an extended distance at highway speed, my 1991 Jeep Wrangler cuts off. At first it will sputter like I've put a bad tank of gas in (I have ran through a couple tanks, plus put in fuel injector additive and that makes no difference). Then usually a few seconds later it cuts out. When I pull over it cranks right up, and runs great, like nothing is wrong. Then after 20 or 30 additional miles it does the same thing.

No check engine light comes on.

Any ideas? By the way it has the 4.0L if that makes any difference.

Phil

Reply to
Mariner15

You are likely describing a dirty connection on the CPS plug and socked. The CPS is located on the top drivers side of the bell housing. I use a spray contact cleaner on them with great success.

A rotted or dirty connectioned ground strap that runs from the back of the engine head up to the firewall can also cause stalls like that.

Mike

Mike Romain

How long since you've replaced the fuel filter?

Jeff DeWitt

Mar> Can someone point me in the right direction?

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

My '89 YJ 4.2 was doing similar things. It turned out for me to be the ignition module. I didn't find out till it completely failed. In the beginning it would just shut down. I would roll to a stop and it would start right up again. Till the next time!!! Joe

Reply to
Joe C