My 900 Needs a Cup Holder

I have an '85 900 that's desparately in need of a cup holder. Have there been any aftermarket ones made for this year? Or, maybe, does anyone know of any plans that will instruct me on how to make my own?

I don't have any kind of console between the seats (just the ignition switches and a switch for the dome lights). I do have the console beneath the dash with the ashtray and storage compartments.

Thanks!

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Years ago there was a company that put out a nice armrest/cupholder combo that bolted to sides at the back of the center plastic section. I can't remember the name but I'll go through my archives and see if I can find it.

Here it is... Made by Husco. Not the best, but pretty good. It kind of makes it harder to get the ignition/handbrake area, but it does work. I had one of these in my '85 900 and moved it to my '88 spg.

Another one that I found is this...
Hope that helps

Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

Here comes the cultural gap discussion regarding eating and drinking in the car...

Well, that leaves the window/door area. I've seen cupholders that slide in next to the window, but not tried them.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've seen cupholders for 9000s on ebay - tried looking there ? I think they fitted in the centre console.

What are *dome lights* btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Not much luck on ebay.com

You could always get them to post it international.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

This one requires a centre-console. My 1983 900S and 1985 900i both do not have centre consoles so the only DIN slot available is the one in the main dash section. They're used by stereo's. 8-)

I'm hoping to get a centre console from a later C900 to try out but it has to come from the UK or locally so it suits right-hand-drive cars.

There are some cupholders being sold on Ebay but none are really of any use in C900's since there's nowhere to mount them that's secure and doesn't get in the way of legs.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Hmmm, that URL is difficult to cut-and-paste using PINE. 8-) Do you know what the Ebay item number is (assuming it's a single listing - not someone's Ebay shop URL)?

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

There were 3 that drop into a spare DIN unit that's usually empty unless you have an expensive stereo install.

Here's one with 4 days to run

They all seem to be from the same seller. It includes a pop-out coin holder too.

Alternatively go to ebay.co.uk and search for 'saab cup holder'

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Just my personal preference, but I like to keep two hands on the steering wheel while driving except when shifting gears. So, I have no need for a cupholder in my Saabs. When I drive, I drive - when I drink I drink :-) and the two don't mix, even it it is just water. Also - I don't use my cellphone. I let voicemail take the calls. There are enough distracted drivers on the road, I don't need to increase the number by one . . .

Reply to
ma_twain

Interior lights, normally on the ceiling.

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy

Well, Dave nailed that one.

Even if one perfers not to drink any beverage while driving, that doesn't mean that the passenger won't want to (unless you prohibit that, too). In my case, I always take something with me to drink at the office each morning. I don't drink it on the way but it is VERY distracting trying to keep it upright w/o a cup holder.

BTW, there are a lot of people who drive when they should be sleeping. I know they're not going to stop and take a nap, so I'd rather have them distract themselves sucking down caffeine than to doze off and cause an accident.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

The ones I've tried don't work too well. Many are too small for most cups but big enough to get in the way when you're trying to drive.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

fitted in the centre console.

The overhead lights inside the vehicle that come on when a door is opened or the switch flipped.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Try

(should be all on one line). or just go to sasab.com, products, interior accessories

I just bought (and have not yet received) a pair of things that look very miuch like these...2 for $22 incl shipping from a guy on ebay.

it was item #7966513819 (so you can look it up...he has sevral otehr auctions ongoing for the same thing

Reply to
Mac Townsend

i think the dome lights are the lights in side the car like the lights that turn on when u open the doors

Reply to
es

The one I referenced (message above) screws to the door and there's a fair bit of real estate available there for placement out of reach of elbows and knees.

Reply to
Mac Townsend

Objective studies have shown that drinking coffee, even Starbucks does nothing to wake up a tired driver. Remember the words "objective studies". The official recommendation is to get enough sleep and if you find yourself too tired to drive while driving, pull and get some rest. Again, coffee does nothing to enhance the performance of a sleepy driver. However, it has been proven that drinking anything and driving causes accidents . . .

As for passengers drinking - I ban that too. My wife allows the kids to have drinks in the minivan - nonalcoholic of course :-) They have "glued" the sliding doors of the minivan shut twice with spilled soda. She has spilled enough soda to gum up the sealtbelt mechanism. Guess what - NO DRINKS in my Saabs!! No soda, no spills, no odors, no glued doors, no problems . . . sounds like the start of a country song.

I am lucky, my office provides free coffee. I don't need to bring any drinks. It also has real dairy cream and hot chocolate mix. With the ice dispensers and a mixer I can make just about anything I can buy :-) When I was working on a Federal account, they provided free Starbucks

- your tax dollars at work!!!

Reply to
ma_twain

I always marvel when I see this item listed on e-bay, particularly when the description includes the phrase "VERY RARE, DASH FITTING COIN & CUP HOLDER". This is a Ford part that was used as a DIN filler on sparsely equipped US Ford Taurus models of the early 1990's. The Taurus was the most popular car in the US during that period and was often offered by Hertz as a rental. I think you can still buy this at a Ford dealer parts counter. There is not much rare about it in the US.

Walt Kienzle

I drew the line at our neighbours (at the time - they are now gone and trying to sue us and my wife's folks over trivial stuff!) borrowing my wife's Mazda 121 and transporting their kids around in it while the kids drank coffee mixed with milk out of baby bottles. 8-) Some of it spilt on the seats... ewww.

There is *no way* they would have ever got to drive my Saab! 8-) I still have not worked out a good way to add cupholders. Not having a centre console reduces the potential for mounting extra devices.

Lol well I'm a train driver for work, and given that it's irregular shiftwork with starts as early as 2.45 am and as late as 6 pm, coffee is almost a necessity. Thankfully our local supermarket usually has big jars of various Moccona blends on sale every couple of weeks. 8-)

I start at 2.45 am tomorrow morning as it happens! And also on Sunday. Fun fun fun... Good thing is that I finish work before lunchtime with starts earlier than 4 am.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Ahhh - thanks - that ( sort of ) makes sense.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear