Jeep Wrangler TJ Cluster problem, please help.

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 - 5 speed 70,000 miles. I bought my Jeep 2 weeks ago, and the battery went dead. I cleaned the wires and clamps and re-posted to the battery terminal, and she cranked right up. BUT, most parts in the cluster weren't working. The only thing that worked in the cluster was the blinkers. So, I cleaned the connections and twisted a hair as to see if they would make better contact and it did not work. I also checked the female harness' and tested all the connections, and they all tested fine. So I assumed that it was a bad cluster.

I went to the junkyard bought a cluster and replaced it, and everything was just peachy....or a week. Now, I woke up this morning and fired it up, and the cluster exhibited the same problems as before. Nothing works except the blinkers. Did it burn out???

Can someone please point me in the right direction. i want to start working on it this Friday night and the only thing I can think of is to tear apart my dash and start checking for a short. I was also told to replace the ignition switch, but I dont want to start on a buying spree trying to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jparker2

There was a defect in the dashes on the early TJ's, the harness plug doesn't mate with the dash plug properly. Likely a metric to standard screw up, but who knows.

The fix is to twist all the pins just slightly so they fit their sockets tighter or you can go and get a replacement plug at the dealership I think.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 - 5 speed 70,000 miles. I bought my
Reply to
Mike Romain

On my Dodge Neon, when the battery started to go bad, all the gauges went crazy. The car would still start reliably. Then, one day it did not start so the battery was replaced. The gauges have been fine ever since. Maybe it is just your battery not being at 100%.

Reply to
nrs

Someone just emailed me that they got a new plug put in for free so it would be worth a try at your local $tealership.

Mike

Mike Roma> There was a defect in the dashes on the early TJ's, the harness plug

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
man of machines

Im gonna call the dealership today. Also, I scanned the Jeep and got no results back. And I was digging in the dash looking for faulty wire and such, and cam across a relay that was extremely corroded. I have no idea what it goes to. I thought it was the ac compressor clutch relay, but I took it out and the ac blew cold air. I have a new (used) cluster coming in on Tuesday, and I will see how long that one last.

Reply to
jparker2