Jeep XJ 4ltr Overheating and loss of power HELP PLEASE

I was driving up the M3 today (UK) about twenty miles from home. Some loss of power, heating inside the cab went to zero, and the engine water temp gauge heading towards the red, then touched the red area. I stopped! Britannia recovery man said "sorry, no can do, have to be towed away". He thinks it's the heater matrix. I got the car towed to Reading (well, carried really), dropped off all the family at home, and left the car at the local "repair anything on four wheels" type of garage, with a note and the car keys through the letterbox.

Does anyone have any diagnostic ideas, with approx price? I'm feeling worried at the moment!

It's a 1994 Jeep XJ 4ltr straight six with 39k on the clock (genuine).

-- Bryan Bellis. Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will kill it. Use the link below instead please.

To email me, go to this web page link:

Bryan Bellis

Bryan Bellis did pass the time by typing:

Could be all sorts of things from real cheap to not real cheap. On the real cheap side is radiator and heater hoses leaking, on the not so cheap side is a blown head gasket, somewhere in between is a leaking radiator.

If it was the head gasket you would have had one massive white cloud coming out of the tailpipe and a lot of racket from the engine. So I don't think that's the issue.

Were I to guess it would be a leaking hose let your water level get too low so even the pump couldn't circulate coolant (ergo loss of inside heat) Then the cars computer started adjusting for increased temperature (your loss of power). But that opinion isn't worth beans till the mechanic has a look under the bonnet.

Reply to
DougW

Sorry, I was very remiss in not saying that on removing the radiator cap, there was no loss of water. Does that help?

-- Bryan Bellis. Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will kill it. Use the link below instead please.

To email me, go to this web page link:

Bryan Bellis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Possibly, but with the heater not putting out heat it may even be a completely gone water pump. It is possible the impeller has corroded to the point of uselessness but that is a real long shot.

Actually, if it wasn't for the loss of internal heat my first thought would be the sensor failed.

The 4.0 uses a unibelt so that's out.

My $ is on the pump now.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What about air in the hoses? I'm tossing in a guess here so that I can be corrected!! haha

Reply to
SB

SB did pass the time by typing:

Not a bad guess though. Air lock can happen for some engines but not the newer I6 due to how the pump is placed and plumbed. Least wise its never happened to me in all the times I've had the radiator off or hoses out.

Reply to
DougW

Sounds like you lost the belt to me.

Mike