Trusting Dash 4WD and Part Time 4WD?

I have a Cherokee XJ 4LTR LTD, 1994. Had it about a month. The lever to move between different drives is very tough to move indeed. On first occasion I got grinding sounds, so stopped the engine quickly (was standing still).

When stationary, engine off, I've managed to get the lever such that the dashboard lights up with green lights in all corners (4WD) and Part Tim is NOT lit, but the lever is stopped by the Part Time 4WD positron!

Can I trust what the lights are saying, or should I trust the lever? I'd hate to drive this thing in PT mode and do some damage!

-- Bryan Bellis. Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will kill it. Use the link below instead please.

To email me, go to this web page link:

Bryan Bellis

It sounds like you should crawl under and lubricate the linkages first to loosen them up. If they still are jamming, then suspect a bad engine or tranny mount and believe the light!

If a mount is bad, the shifter might not be moving the t-case right.

Mike

Bryan Bellis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I did a poll a few monthes ago, and 50% of the readers of this newsgroup's 4WD light did not work correctly.

Believe the lever.

You will know if you are in part time, you will feel it when you turn.

Jeep uses a shift on the fly system, you should shift from 2wd to 4wd while moving. You can safely shift from 2wd to 4wd up to 55mph. This way you will not hear grinding.

Reply to
Mark12211

Sometimes the lever on my `89 Cherokee (4.0, Auto) lies too. I'll shift out of 4WD Part Time into Full Time or 2WD and the steering tells me that Part Time is still engaged. Shutting it down for a bit usually does the trick. I guess that I really should look at the vacuum plumbing.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I certainly would not take the chance of exploding a transfer case on my 'new' vehicle that had a jammed up shifter.

I would fix the shifter first, then see if it still has troubles.

Transfer cases are expensive. My old tenant didn't believe the light. He came home on the end of a tow truck with all the metal parts hanging under it. Man did he ever explode that thing.

He was saying, well the light wouldn't go off so I forgot about it.

Just a loose vacuum line can mess with the lights for sure, but it won't jam up a shift linkage.

Mike

Mark12211 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain