are all rust preventers the same?

i went to vip to get some rust preventor stuff and there was lke 4 different kinds. i first asked them if they had por 15, since ive heard a lot about that here but they didnt. im not doing anythign too major, just the floor pans of my tj are pretty rusty. does anyone have a preference over the paint on kind of the spray type? and what do i use for a top coat if i use something like plastikote rust preventor? thanks, nicole

Reply to
Nicole Mason

You can buy POR-15 direct from the manufacturer at this site:

"Chassis Coat" is one of the recommended top coats. I don't have long-term results using these products, having just painted my rebuilt junkyard axles two weeks ago. Looks like an excellent product though.

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

POR-15 has a good reputation here but it is designed to be used on rusted surfaces, if you paint it over existing coatings it will seal from above but can't bind to the metal below, so there's still a risk of bubbling and rusting. If you are looking for protection over appearance, brush painting is better than spraying because you'll build a thicker layer of coating with a brush. POR and related products can be mailordered from at least one of the Jeep-specific parts catalogues (I think it is in the 4WD Hardware one). POR is expensive and has a short shelf-life once opened, I recommend buying less than you think you need and then reordering just enough to finish the job.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton