Just got another Jeep, and have a dumb question

The only dumb question is the question that remains un-asked, right? :)

Anyway, I'm the proud new owner of a 1996 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) Limited... my question concerns the keyless entry remote. The Jeep came with only one remote, so I bought a 2nd one from eBay. Now, I'm unable to find a procedure on programming the 2nd remote online, and was hoping that someone here might have some insight on programming it. It is the 3-button RF remote, not the 2-button IR remote (found lots of info on programming the IR remote). Most responses I found concerning the RF remote were "dealer has to do it." Say it ain't so!

Thanks in advance- Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Chuck Bremer did pass the time by typing:

Call your local dealer and ask. I think it can be done by using the ignition key. (going from memory here so I may well be wrong)

1) open driver door and leave open 2) put ignition key in ignition and turn to on (not start)

3) press lock button on remote and hold down for a few seconds (I think the horn beeps or the door locks, forget which)

-or-

3a) with door open, press lock button on door then press unlock on keyfob and hold till door unlocks (probably only a few seconds)

4) turn ignition off

Hope one of those works. Found a website a while back that had this info but didn't copy it. I personally disabled the stock alarm and went with a better aftermarket with remote start and other gee gaws. :)

Reply to
DougW

Call the dealer. Many dealers will do this for you as a courtesy right in the service drive. Even if they don't do it gratis, there will only be a nominal charge of maybe $20 at the most.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Reply to