coupon for fuel injector cleaner.

Just got back from the local Autozone and Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner has a

2$ off (or free ballcap) mail in rebate. That took it down to $4.44 after tax.

Is it me or are even the fuel system cleaners going up in price. Swear I bought one of these a few months back for not much more that 5$?

Actually with the prices it might be cheaper to run a lower octane fuel and add a octane booster. Need to run the math on that, but at a local difference of 20c per gallon between the 87 and 93 it might be worth buying a large gallon bottle of additive and mixing my own as needed. Folks with less "touchy" engines might find better results.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, depending upon the costs this might be a pretty good idea. But how do we know what "additive" to add and where to get it? Chem class was over for me 40 years ago and now I don't even know what an octane booster is, if I ever did at all.

Scotty '99 TJ Sahara 4.0L I-6 '99 XJ Sport 4.0L I-6 '03 BMW Z4

*** CAUTION: Reading this reply may make you drowsy ***
Reply to
Scotty

Scotty did pass the time by typing:

Most are MMT or similar chemicals that act to slow the burning of fuel and make it less likely to self-ignite (ping). The same stuff fuel providers add but in more dilute form.

I've always kept a can of O2 sensor safe octane booster in the Jeep for those times when all the station has is low octane or for some reason it's a tank of crap-o-line. What my mileage record show is every time it was used my mileage went up slightly (1-2 mpg).

Cost savings might come from a more potent type commonly used for racers to create 104 octane or higher. You have to measure out so many ml per each gallon of fuel you want to treat cause not many vehicles would run well if at all with that high an octane fuel.

Because of the supercharger on my Jeep it's more critical to run 92-93. Generally you should run the lowest octane that doesn't ping under load. It might not be worthwhile if you can run lower octane fuel without problems.

Reply to
DougW

Come on Doug - think about it: price of gas goes up so anything that has to be transported or that is made from materials that need transport to the factory goes up by definition. Even the cost of lighting/heating the store is affected. Econ 101.

Reply to
Will Honea