1999 Camry keyless entry/remotes question.

Ok, I'm getting confused...

The short version... Do all 1999 Camry's come with keyless remotes/FOBs? Do all 1999 Camry's have ECUs?

The long version... Earlier this year I bought a 1999 Camry LE from a reputable non-Toyota dealer (it was a trade-in). The car has been great; no complaints other than I didn't get the original key nor did I get any remotes with the car. I can live without the original key, but I'd like to have the keyless entry working. My thoughts were "Ok, no original key, no remotes -- I'll just pick up a couple remotes somewhere and I'll be set."

I bought a couple remotes on eBay with the idea that I'd do the programming myself (I'm rather geeky in that way). I'm not sure the remotes will work with this car, but the price was right so I thought I'd give them a try.

I've been surfing the web, looking through archives, etc for information on how to program these beasts. I've come across several different methods, but none of them work.

One method involved running the car's electronics through a certain sequence (hitting the drivers side door lock button, putting the key in the ignition, turning the key to a certain position for so many seconds, etc). The instructions also said how the car would respond through different steps (the door locks would cycle twice or something like that). Well, at the beginning of the sequence the car responded as the instructions said it would, but by the end of the sequence it wasn't responding. So I figured that those instructions don't apply to my car (wrong year? wrong model?).

Another method involved pressing a button on the ECU. Fine. Where's the ECU? Some people say that they've found it under the drivers seat

-- nothing under mine. I also got a fax-back that said it was behind the knock-outs that are to the left of the steering wheel. I popped out the knock-outs, but alas, no ECU.

I've also called some of the local Toyota dealers. None of them are willing to tell me how to do it, but are happy to do it themselves for a price -- one said he'd reprogram the system for $50 per remote, and another said he'd do it for $85 for both remotes. I'd really prefer to do it myself so I can learn about it, however at this point I'm wondering if the car even supports keyless entry.

Any and all ideas, suggestions, help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

-Jon

9/19/2003
Reply to
Jon Scheer

The keyless entry is an option. Not all Camrys came with it for that year.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks for the (unfortunate :-) information. How can I go about determining if my car supports it?

-Jon

Jack wrote:

Reply to
Jon Scheer

My 99 CE has a small switch high on the kick panel by the drivers feet, the horn was mounted on the wheel well on the drivers side. The original fob that I had was a Carbine, I ended up having to get two new ones (Carbine) from CarToys with an FCC ID of ELV777K. Since it was considered an older system, that's what I ended up with.

Part of the programming had to do with the switch on the kick panel. They like doing the config and charging what they do, because it's a five minute, money making process. It's in the owners manual, if I remember correctly.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

looking at your post , you are a theif so FUCK OFF ..................................

Reply to
mark Ransley

looooooseeeeerroooffffff

Reply to
mark Ransley

Not just any remote fob off ebay will work --- it has to be the right FCC frequency number. Not sure where the control unit would be in that year - perhaps behind the left kick panel. The FCC # should be on it. You can always add an alarm sytem that can interface with the automatic locking system. I did that on a '95 Geo Prizn and it worked great - cost $75 from JCWhitney for a Viper alarm.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Jon Scheer

Yeah, I know the remotes might not be right, but it was a risk I was willing to take. :-)

According to another poster, the keyless entry was an option on the 1999 Camry, so maybe my Camry isn't supported as well. I'll try to pop off the kick panel and see if there's anything behind there.

If that doesn't pan out, I might end up doing what you did -- buy an after market alarm/remote system.

Thanks for the info.

-Jon

Wolfgang wrote:

Reply to
Jon Scheer

Hmmmmm... No switch on the kick panel. Maybe I'm out of luck... :-/ I'll pop the kick panel just to see if there's anything interesting/useful back there. :-)

Thanks for the info.

-Jon

Bryan wrote:

Reply to
Jon Scheer

You should see it right off, it's a silver toggle switch.

Reply to
Bryan