Just installed locker

A friend of mine just sent me his "slightly used" Powertrax locker for my Dana 35 (yes, Bill, I'll send you links of broken axles ;-)!) I was going to call the shop today to see how much it would cost to install it, and decided to just do it myself instead. Well, it took FOREVER. Really because the instructions stunk (didn't seem like they were for the right locker -- downloaded from the website). And there were a few... catches.

For example, I couldn't use my thrust washers. I had all but given up on the install (couldn't get both couplers in there -- one at a time; both at the same time, with side gears, without, etc.) when I called up my friend and he said he didn't use his thrust washers. Not intentionally -- he just forgot to use them. So I took the thrust washers off of the side gears, and voila, everything fit. And when I say "fit", I mean it was very difficult just to get the two couplers in. Once installed, everything lined up the way it should, with the proper clearances.

Will there be problems with not using the thrust washers? Do I need to get new, but wafer-thin ones? My stock ones were thin to begin with, but were still too thick to use.

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No, you'll be fine without the thrus washers... Their not ment to be used with the powertrax. For the first month, lay off the gas on tight turns... Check your gears and change your fluid after that. twisty roads are gonna throw you around a bit, and you'll notice your jeep shifting around a bit when you let off and get on the gas, but you'll love the locker. Nick

Reply to
Nick

I noticed the tire squeal around corners already... I have noticed the shifting as well (took a quick trip to the parts store after installing).

I'll be wheeling it tomorrow -- nothing too hardcore, but I can't wait to test it out.

As for fluids, any idea what to use?? I went with 85w-140 (that's good for limited slips). I believe it was Valvoline. I'd have to go check to be sure... But I've heard conflicting stories on what to use.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I watched it a few times and didn't see a break.....

Although, I have to say, I can see the problems with c-clips now. Always heard people bashing them, but had never seem the guts of my diff (other than fluid changes). Now I know why....

Reply to
Eric

Your friend has ABS. You don't. You have the wrong locker. The side gear sockets in your carrier are a bit too wide (you should have noticed some rotational play in the locker) and the interior of your carrier is a bit too narrow (hence no room for the required thrust washers). It fits, sort of, but it will be noisy and you will wear your carrier and locker prematurely. On the bright side, it will eventually provide the excuse you need to upgrade to an 8.8 or a 44.

Steve

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

According to Powertrax's website, we should be using the same locker (P/N

2311S2).

ZJ, Rear Axle, 1993-2000 (his is a 93 or 94, can't recall), Dana 35 Uses LockRight 2311 S2. TJ, Rear Axle, 1994-2000 (my TJ's a 99), Dana 35, Uses LockRight 2311 S2.

Mind you, I've seen some sites (such as that linked by Bill) that specify a difference. I wonder why a distributer would be providing something the manufacturer doesn't...

Reply to
Eric

After further research it appears that the Dana 35s pre 93/94 with ABS had a different carrier than those without ABS. However, all D35s AFTER 94 have the same size carrier, regardless of whether you have ABS or not (i.e. they all have the ABS-sized carrier).

At least that's what the almighty google is telling me. ;-)

Reply to
Eric

Don't be so sure about the 'all Dana 35 after 94' generalization. For instance this catalog implies that TJ still had the ABS/nonABS carrier difference and that non ABS TJs require the 2310S2:

Also note the disclaimer on the Powertrax site:

"Powertrax has attempted to make this Application Guide as accurate as possible. However, Powertrax cannot guarantee correctness. Identical model vehicles may have different axles or differentials than stated in this guide depending on original options ordered and other factors. It is advisable to check the vehicle to determine precisely which differential and axle are present."

I believe you have a non-ABS carrier.

Steve

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I read that -- so how do I know if I have the right part? You go to 10 websites and half will say one thing, the other half something else. Who is right??

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sure it does. Just not with the thrust washers. Found out he bought it from a guy with a TJ that used it for a short time... have to find out if that TJ had ABS or not.

It just doesn't make sense... I've seen more separate listings for the no-slip (ABS or not) although I can't imagine what the difference would be between the no-slip and lockright.. (just seems to be the guts are different).

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I am.

Steve

Steve

If you cannot install the thrust washers it needs, then it doesn't fit....

Someone else, Steve I think pointed out what you will destroy driving it like that didn't he?

It sure doesn't take long to have a rear end blow out by the way......

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Eric

Oddly enought I can't get them to respond to my email...

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III