Locker install, diy

I am wondering about the difficulty and special tools needed to in stall your own lockers. I've gotten qoutes in the $250-500 range per axle, add to that the cost of the locker itself. I have a stock 94 YJ. I really do no serious wheeling, just tooling around the backwoods south of big bear area, elevation 4-6000 ft. I also have to contend with snow off and on. tia

jimo

Marvin Oliver

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I did not have a solid understanding of how my diff worked, I pulled mine apart, removed the spider gears, installed the lock-right, and was driving it that evening. Now that I have done it once I could do another one in around 2 hours start to finish, my first one took most of a saturday. I would say that if you feel comfortable working on your own stuff, install your own lunchbox type locker. If you are going to install a carrier type (arb or detroit) locker pay to have it done.

Reply to
Rusted

When I did my lockright, I messed up initially and left out a part. Tearing into it a second time to fix my mistake was even easier. lunchbox lockers are really easy once you have done it once. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

How did you know a part was left out Kevin? Did the locker not work right or did you just suddenly spot the part on the work bench after everything was buttoned back up? :eek:

Jerry

Kev> When I did my lockright, I messed up initially and left out a part. Tearing

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I agree with these guys, Marvin. Having seen a lockright installed in a couple hours (at a campsite, no less), I'd definately say it's a diy project.

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

The instructions were less than informative, I had two extra parts (metal ring thingies) and when I installed the locker I wasnt sure if they went in or not. It drove ok without them but after some asking around I figured out they needed to go back in so I installed them. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego