LASIK on the TJ

Well, yesterday evening my awated package from UPS arrived new eyes for the TJ. Tested them out this morning and this evening to and from work. WOW them suckers are bright and I also upgraded the OEM fogs too DOUBLE WOW. Yep, got a pair of the euro standards it beats the lenses we have here in the states and the clarity is un believeable. My bud aimed them for me to make sure they don't blind anyone but, that didn't stop a few from hitting their hi beams and when I returned the complement I could actually see their lips moving.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If a few drivers hit their high beams, your new headlights are NOT aimed properly.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I would agree with this. If you are blinding other drivers it is not a good thing. I would take that high beaming as a sincere message to seriously consider further aversion of this beam from everyone's eyes. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Aren't those lamps illegal?

Reply to
Matt Osborn

If people are complaining enough to flash their lights at you, you lights are still too high - your "bud" hasn't done you any favors.

Take your TJ behind the supermarket where there is a high wall and a flat parking area. Park yout TJ 25 feet from the wall, and mark the wall with strips of duct tape about 25 inches from the ground. Turn the lights on and place a towel over one of the lights, andjust the other light so the hot spot is just to the tape on the wall, switch the towel and adjust the other light the same way. Once the verticle adjustment is good, take a look at the horizontal adjustment, your lights should NOT aim straight ahead, and DEFINITELY NOT to the left ot center, they should aim to the right of center. Yoiu don't need any marks on the wall to guage this adjustment, you should be able to see where the light is pointing, and adjust so it is biased to the right. Having said that, you should be able to see the hot spot in the beam, and if it is dialed in on the lane lines, it should make everybody happy.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

When properly adjusted, nobody will ever ask. But if one of those oncoming cars happens to be a cop, and he flashes, it is a near certainty that he will be making a u-turn.

I had a set like that on an old Mustang I once owned, they were great. The US DOT is way behind the 8-ball in this area.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well as usual everyone has an opinion and it was wrong, my bud is the head mechanic at the dealership where I purchased my TJ and used the fancy light meters to adjust as per the local laws, I stopped by after work today and he did a recheck everything is fine.

Some of my co-workers told me that it isn't that the lights are blinding them, it is they are just too damn bright and the poor rednecks here in southern MD do not appreciate it and think all the HID lamps should be outlawed because it hurts their delicate eyes.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

You got a HID kit ? I thought you just got Euro lights.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

DOT approved in all 50 States.

[...]

This is what I brought I called them EURO because that is where they were invented but, they are HID.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Are you running stock tires? How about load?

I have a 3" lift and 33x9.5 tires and if I 'properly' line up my headlights, 'tons' of folks will flash me. Proper is X far from the wall so the lights point in one place which is what the machine does.

I went and paced beside a few transport trucks and compared my beam distance to theirs and I was 'way' out there. I came home and dropped them down so when I pace a transport now, my beam hit the ground in the same place as theirs. I also set them a little extra toward the ditch, not much mind you, just a foot or so.

No more flashes. Even fully loaded for camping my lows don't bother folks.

Just so you know, you can get big tickets for running illegal over lumen lights and have to pay a tow....

The cops pulled over my old tenant in his XJ for having 100 watt beams on. He had an option to turn them off so only got a talking to...

Mike

HarryS wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Try my adjustment procedure on the wall behind the supermarket. If the hot spot is above the tape mark, this is why the cars coming from the other direction are flashing you. These lamps are very easy to adjust because the hot spot stands out clearly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You asked and we told you. Your lamps are not adjusted properly if people coming from the other way are flashing you. When properly adjusted, the cars coming from the other way will never, that's N-E-V-E-R, flash you unless you actually have your brights on. Please do not blame the victims of your insensitivities for your shortcomings. They may just be bitching for nothing, or your lights might actually be an issue, I suspect the latter.

I once owned these same lights, they are really nice to drive behind, but to drive into can be a real pain in the ass if the owner has not properly adjusted them. I would suggest as a sanity check to go behind the supermarket and stick some duct tape on the wall 25" from the ground, and part 25 feet away, and make sure the hot spot of your lamp is below this line, and to the right of the left side tires.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

HIDs and Euro Spec are completely different.

HIDs are spot lights, and they should not generate complaints unless they are maladjusted. The adjustment is not the same as the wall test that I described, having said that, I suspect it would make a good sanity check just the same. The hotspot in the beam should be below 25 inches at 25 feet, and should be to the right of the centerline of the road. If you check and find the lights are not aimed to comply with these rules, then ask the guy with the fancy stuff to verify his work, or get your phillips out and make the adjustment yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Completely stock Shahra 30x9.5 with stock lift, as I said the bumkins down here do not like the brite white headlights as my co-workers told me. Hell, they pay more for a 10 oz budwizer beer than a 12 oz at the bars because they swear it tasts better. This one of the few areas in the country they sell 10 oz buds so go figure.

HaryS

Reply to
HarryS

Completely stock Shahra 30x9.5 with stock lift, as I said the bumkins down here do not like the brite white headlights as my co-workers told me. Hell, they pay more for a 10 oz budwizer beer than a 12 oz at the bars because they swear it tasts better. This one of the few areas in the country where they sell 10 oz buds so go figure. I did the 25' method earlier to check and they were a little low so I left them the and the HIDs leave a very distinct hot spot. It isn't like I am getting flashed by lots of folks probably 1 out of 50 and I probably don't see more than 100 vehicles on my way to work.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Harry,

Just curious where you found these replacement lights and what the cost of them was? I've always thought my TJ headlights were weak. Unfortunatley, I've found that the easiest compensation for them is to drive with the fog lights on, but I don't like doing it. I always get the flashing light complaint from other drivers when the fogs are on. I know mine are out of adjustment, so I try to only use them when on country roads.

I'd love to know where you got the replacements.

Thanks, Brad

97 TJ Sahara

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

Heh, great, your lights are bright enough to bother other drivers (rednecks or not), and you don't care.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller