Aftermarket Headlights

Has anyone replaced the stock headlights with some aftermarket ones? I'm looking for something brighter/whiter but won't break the bank.

Thanks, Octo

Reply to
Octo

At $20 each, the Sylvania SilverStars are the brightest, white halogen, in that price range..

Reply to
moli n ny

moli n ny

I need to check out their website I guess. :) Been thinking about up-grading to the their newest ones.

This will be the third time, first it was their halogens, second their brighter (X?) halogens now "silverstars".

They advertise the better visability if you buy 'em, but don't mention lowering the visability of the on-coming driver. Me! :/

Can't beat 'em... blind 'em back? ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Well, I've driven with Lucas Carello Quartz and Ciebie Quartz when all you could get were those damned incandescent bulbs - and I always found that they never made much of a problem for oncoming drivers - as long as you remember to dim your lights when you see oncoming traffic.

(And if you meet some jerk who won't dim his lights, a shot of quartz gives them religion quick like bunny-rabbits! Got a cop once. No consequences, though - he knew what he'd forgotten to do...)

Go with the brighter lights. If you do any country driving, you'll find animals with your lights before you find them with your grill.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

There is also a 5.00 rebate available on these again...I put them in my F150 headlamps, fogs, and also have the SilverStar turn bulbs and they work great!

Reply to
FordStyle

Thanks for the info. Sort of gives new meaning to " I wear my sunglasses at night".

Reply to
Octo

They are bright but not that bright. I only use the foglights at night on the back country roads to light up the sides some more. Helps to spot the multitude of dear just waiting to spring out as well as the other critters of the night. High beams are much brighter than stock and the Silverstar turns are about the same with a little more brightness from them. The key on these is to make sure your headlights/fogs are aimed or the other drivers will wish they wore their sunglasses at night.

'Buddy added the Sylvania HID upgrade kit to his and they put out some light!!! Nice lights to have but at 500.00 a kit a little steep for my blood.

Reply to
FordStyle

a couple of years ago I was stopped and given a ticket for using my fog lights at night because it wasn't foggy. So letter I checked around and found out that most states have that law.

Reply to
Perry

I think you're right and sometimes it's a load changing it.

If a guy gets flashed at when his lights are on dim more than a couple times he needs to check his lights' adjustment.

Betcha less than one out of a hundred do that tho. :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Well I must be the 1 in a 100. I switched mine from the stock ones to the SAT branded clear Lightning Headlamps and added the 4x4 valance with fogs to mine. Took it to the dealer the next day and had all 4 of them aimed when I got my oil changed. Wanted to make sure they were right for my benefit and the others coming at me..

Reply to
FordStyle

The headlight units on my '94 Ranger are plastic, and have become pitted. The light that comes through is really dimmed by the "filtered" effect of the scratches. Do they still make glass headlight covers, and do I have to special order them? -- pj

They are bright but not that bright. I only use the foglights at night on the back country roads to light up the sides some more. Helps to spot the multitude of dear just waiting to spring out as well as the other critters of the night. High beams are much brighter than stock and the Silverstar turns are about the same with a little more brightness from them. The key on these is to make sure your headlights/fogs are aimed or the other drivers will wish they wore their sunglasses at night.

'Buddy added the Sylvania HID upgrade kit to his and they put out some light!!! Nice lights to have but at 500.00 a kit a little steep for my blood.

Reply to
pj

I would go to Autozone and order the replacements. Much cheaper than the dealer.

Reply to
Merc

Right now, on EBay: Buy it now price of US $78.95. Auction number: 2448337945 Title: 93-97 Ford RANGER Headlight Headlamp PAIR NEW Description: Included in this acution is two (one LH, one RH) brand new headlight assemblies. Also included are two new bulbs already installed. FITS:

1993-1997 Ford Ranger This item is brand new and an excellent quality aftermarket part offered at a fraction of the dealer list cost. All parts meet or exceed OEM standards for a perfect fit every time. Bid with confidence! If you aren't completely satisfied with any part, simply return it within 10 days for a full refund less shipping. Shipping will be a flat $10.00 rate.

I simply found the above by going to EBay.com, and searching for "Ford Ranger headlight". Look at the pictures, see if it's what you want. The above is representative. Chances are you can find a better price, or at the very least now can get a ball park figure to work with. See the auction for shipping prices and such.

Reply to
William Hopkins

You could also try compound etc. on your current pair, there are posts all over the net about getting the yellow/pits out of plastic headlights. Try google : "compound headlights".

Here's an example from a mustang group: (this particular post mentions brake fluid? - never heard of that before)

Yeah, this is no big surprize. The material is like plexiglass, snowmobile windshields, helmet visors, etc. It is also similar to clearcoat paint on a car and as such can be polished with like equipment. The big difference is that is has a much lower melting point, where it loses its "clearness". So you must keep it *WET* when you polish and use a low wheel speed. Idealy, use a compound for big scratches and finish with a polish and use a soft bonnet. Big damage can not be taken out but may be minimized so as not to be noticed. Be real careful! Toothpaste works good on this stuff too.

Reply to
JimD

Cool post thanks. :) Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Thank you!!! -- pj

In article , "JimD" wrote: You could also try compound etc. on your current pair, there are posts all over the net about getting the yellow/pits out of plastic headlights. Try google : "compound headlights".

Here's an example from a mustang group: (this particular post mentions brake fluid? - never heard of that before)

Yeah, this is no big surprize. The material is like plexiglass, snowmobile windshields, helmet visors, etc. It is also similar to clearcoat paint on a car and as such can be polished with like equipment. The big difference is that is has a much lower melting point, where it loses its "clearness". So you must keep it *WET* when you polish and use a low wheel speed. Idealy, use a compound for big scratches and finish with a polish and use a soft bonnet. Big damage can not be taken out but may be minimized so as not to be noticed. Be real careful! Toothpaste works good on this stuff too.

Reply to
pj

No problem.

Once they're clean (or if they're new) I use a wax with a light compound in it for the headlights and tail lights to keep 'em looking better than factory fresh. I use Nu-Finish in the orange bottle for this job even though I use Maguire's Gold Class on the paint..

Good luck.

Reply to
JimD

Try bright whites or cool blues they run about 17.00 for a cool blue set to

Reply to
cjbartholomew