FRONT FOGS!!!

Is it just me or is anyone else blinded by drivers using dipped beams and front fogs in any weather? on my way home most nights i seem to end up flashing nearly every other car coming the other way!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

yes, darned annoying. WTF do they think they're trying to prove? i used them for a coupla days when i had a main beam light out about 2 years ago Still no excuse for it.

Reply to
Dan

Sometimes you can catch the fogs by accident. In my escort, the buttons could easily be caught by your knee as you got in the car, and it didnt draw your attention to it. I was pulled over a number of times because of this.

Of course I was trying to prove nothing.

Reply to
Rob1

not really. front fogs never seem to dazzle me, bearing in mind they point at the road immediately infront of the vehicle. Do they really dazzle you? Or do you just like making having a moan?

Reply to
barry

I take it you use them all the time.... with a name like that you must do.

SteveH

Also sprach "r.p.mcmurphy" :-

I don't have so much of a problem with them as I do with these new discharge lamps when they're passing me slowly on the motorway. The near-side kick-up pattern is right in my wingmirror and goes beyond distraction into painful sometimes.

I've got round it by moving the mirror a bit so I have to move my head slightly to see traffic on my right. A far from perfect solution, but it's that or be continuually dazzled.

Reply to
Guy King

Front fogs don't just light up 2 feet in front of the car...they aim horizontally and have (i think) about 21watts of power each to help blind car drivers in front. if they aimed 2 foot in front of the car they'd be even more useless than they already are! i thought they were supposed to be used in very low visibility conditions to alert other vehicles of the cars presence...not for lighting up the road!!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

No. I dont actually have front fog lights, as 99.9999% of the time, I can see the road two feet in front of me. You know, the bit they light up?

I'm just not a grumpy old man that likes moaning.

Reply to
barry

I am

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

funny site tho :)

Reply to
barry

ah, i am too. Though front fog lights arent on my hitlist at the mo

Reply to
barry

Also sprach barry :-

I can't. The bonnet gets in the way.

Reply to
Guy King

No, they're used to light up the road in fog. Headlamps in heavy fog have no effect other than making everything less visible as the water refracts the light into a glowing grey haze. Front fogs aim at the gound so that you can see the road

Reply to
barry

Many of them certainly blind me. IME, Audi, BMW, and the occasional Mondeo foglight don't seem to cause a problem. It's always the Pug/Citroen ones that cause the problem.

Not all of them though. The ones that don't, you can see that they illuminate the little bit of road in front and to the side of them, making them totally useless for the driving conditions they're normally used in.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Almost but not quite - they aim at a different angle so the reflected light does not come back in your eyes - as with the main headlamps/dip.

I assume you've tried full beam in fog, and seen a white wall, thats because usually the light is supposed to come straight back into your eyes, and you see things more clearly (pedestrians etc) in normal conditions.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Some do dazzle while others don't. Besides anything else it is rightly illegal to use them in clear conditions and plod does pull people over for it but seldom books them. Time to start awarding penalty points I think, because the shear number of half blind morons seems to be increasing exponentially. There is no excuse because they don't add to visibility in clear conditions and most modern cars demand a conscious effort to switch them on after every engine start. If the driver actually makes a conscious effort to break the law then maybe two penalty points are justified.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

yeah, i have. not nice. up a hill somewhere between Petersfield and Brighton at about 3am. Was better to drive with no lights and just use the moon.

Reply to
barry

The whole idea of front fogs is they illuminate at a very low height right at road level covering a wide area close to the front of the car, so unless they're wrongly adjusted and pointing up in the air, they cant dazzle you.

Using them in the wrong weather conditions is a different matter though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

All together now....................

OH YES THEY CAN...........

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I've done that - no lights is actually a big improvement to visibility in heavy fog although not the safest thing for others. But either way why do people in dodgy psuedo "sports" cars seem to have an affinity to them?

Reply to
Johnny