Late model 4.0 manifold crack?

I've heard things about the late model 4.0 cracking the exhaust manifold. Is this on XJ's, TJ's ZJ's, WJ's, or all? What years, specifically? Do most people just install a header when the manifold
breaks?
TY,
Carl
It is a 4.0 engine defect. It should be a recall matter because it is exhaust and emissions related.
You can tell if you have the upgraded part in there by looking for a baffle in the manifold where the last two pipes come together.
Our 88's was fine until I paid some so called Jeep shop to put the front crossover pipe in for me. The jerks snapped mine and just said 'well they all break there' Ya right, my 88's lasted until they got to it a couple years ago...
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What do I look for in the Baffle?
An accordion shaped piece.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Wrangler/PLP1390094/24498 God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If one fails, is it better to get the one in Bill's link or a header?
Carl
I always figure if I need a header, it's either a dirt cheap replacement for a manifold or it's to accommodate a larger intake/carb with hotter spark.
Headers are steel pipes that rot out, manifolds are cast that should outlast several engine rebuilds.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have had my fill of cast iron manifolds that have had to go to the machine shop, to have a busted stud removed, or that have cracked. Granted, there are designs that are more prone to cracking than others.
Earle

In Bill's link, "This item is currently not available for purchase."
Earle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com proclaimed:

If your vehicle is still under warranty, the replacement should be free if you get the mopar replacement unit. Some shops will make you a deal where you can pay the difference and get a good aftermarket like a banks, etc. etc. etc. Some won't.
Jeep 4.0s have never had cast manifolds. The factory exhaust is bent pipe. I replaced mine with a borla, which is great, but I replaced one on a friend's Wrangler with one I got on ebay for cheap (has accordian) and it works great too.