Intake Manifold Questions

I have a 89 golf with the RV motor and was wondering if the intake manifold can be removed without taking out the fuel injectors. Do they obscure access to bolts or occupy space needed for the intake to clear the head? Also, are the bolts prone to breaking?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Sure. It comes right off. The bolts are behind and you're blind to them. You're just going to have to guess. Oh, the exhaust gas recycler has to come off before you can get to 2 of the bolts.

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

Intake bolts should be fine, but inspect them for yourself. This might be a good opportunity to replace the exhaust manifold bolts (even if they look 'fine'). H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

I'm kind of wary when it comes to the exhaust manifold bolts cause I've heard of allot of people breaking them, and I don't want to do that. The reason I'm taking the intake off is because that stupid CO tube broke off a while ago and I need to plug the hole and can't get at it well enough with the intake in. BTW buying the tube and associated parts at the dealer is kinda pricy, was wondering if anyone has any homebrew fixes they've done. looks like the fitting the tube connects to is seized pretty good and I doubt it will come loose before it breaks.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

OH, it that what you are doing? Don't take off the intake manifold, you can plug it either with a self tapping screw that fits that hole, or use PB Blaster on that nut for a few days (tap on it with a hammer too each time after you spray it) Or heat with a torch (at least MAPP). Some people have recommended tightening up a little before trying to loosen it too.

After you get the nut off you can find something that will fit in the nut and effectively seal that hole, if you are not installing a new tube.

Other options JB Weld with or without a screw/bolt.

just some suggestions!

dave

I know for sure a 6mm bolt fits nicely in there. One was plugging it for atleast a month now. However, it eventually blew out (by the way it sounds pretty cool when it does) and i think it wore down the inside of the hole when it blew out, enough so the bolt won't grab anymore. I'm thinking it'll be the trusty 6mm bolt and some JB weld, hopefully it'll hold. But Dave, i still think if i wanted to actually remove the fitting thats in there, it would be a whole lot easier if the intake wasn't in the way. Anyways, thanks for the JB weld idea.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

remove the intake rubber boot and you should be able to reach it easily from the passenger side, if the wheel is on the left side.

dave