Leaking gear oil.

Hello to all. I've posted regarding this before and really did not get any clear answers. Alot of useful info but no real explaination. Any, I have a 95 YJ 4.0, manual, dana 35 rear. It is spitting alot of gear oil out of the vent tube, down the side of the gas tank and on to my garage floor. Thank goodness for oil dry, it works wonders!! Any way I am confussed as to why its happening. I just serviced it myself 4 wks ago. Pulled the cover cleaned it out. New oil. I drive 40 miles to work, one way, mostly at highway speed. Some days I come home and none on the garage floor, some days, a drop or two, some days like yesterday, I come home and 10 hrs later a puddle 7" in dia. I don't get it!! What would be causing the pressure to force it out. HELP!!

Thanks,

Greg

86 XY 95 YJ 06 ZJ
Reply to
jerryg

Over filled or wrong type oil.

Reply to
Earle Horton

How can you overfill it when the fill hole is on the side, vertical? I used 80w90 oil.

Greg

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
jerryg

Does your vent tubes extend up beyond the 'air intake line?' On mine, differential vent tubes use rubber tubing that attach at the differential, and run up high; the front diff. terminates next to the top of the radiator, and I'm not sure where the rear terminates; this keeps water out during river crossings and lets the internal pressures equalize when the cold water hits the warm metal casing, preventing fluid from escaping or entering through the vent tube itself or through the axle seals.

I'm just wondering if tubing that hooked into that fixed 'vent tube' fitting is missing? If so, that might account for the spillage. Overfilling and wrong fluid type can also contribute.

Reply to
Outatime

The oil is like molasses this time of year. Even in the summer you can seriously over fill one of these axles, even with a hand pump. The recommendation in the owner's manual is probably half an inch below the fill plug too. I recommend you take the fill plug off and let any excess drain into a pan. It is also possible that the new oil you put in there is of poor quality and prone to foaming. Consider using a synthetic for improved cold weather performance too.

Earle

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks you guys. I'll check it to see where the level is at. Thanks for the input. I really enjoy posting on this forum and getting info on my Jeep.

Greg

86 XJ 95 YJ 06 ZJ

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...> How can you overfill it when the fill hole is on the side, vertical? I

inmessagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

quoted text -

Reply to
jerryg

You didn't speciy which type of 80-90, but it sounds like it is foaming? I hope it was a major name brand and you should make CERTAIN that it was GL-5 rated.

I have had my 95 model since new and installed Royal Purple Synthetic at about 10,000 miles. I used the 84-140 per the owners manual for "extreme use or trailer towing" and have changed it at 50,000 mile intervals. Mine has 240,000 trouble free miles so far...

Good stuff!

Reply to
Highcountry