95 XJ Oil Leak

My '95 XJ seems to be leaking oil from the rear main. I usually end up putting in another quart between oil changes. It isn't that bad but does leave a spot on the garage floor. Is the rear main seal pretty easy to replace or is there some other miracle cure that might take care of it? snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

'95 Jeep Cherokee Country '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Reply to
BNB7

Approximately 11/16/03 11:12, BNB7 uttered for posterity:

The only miracle is to check the more common leak sources. Look along the sides of the block [may be easier to see if you wash the engine off] for wetness from oil. The valve cover gasket tends to leak and the oil tends to head for the rear of the engine. The mounting for the oil filter may also leak and look like the seal.

If you have a place to work, changing the seal is more a matter of care and cleanliness than high skill level. If you've never done one, see if anyone here likes beer and lives near you.

Reply to
Lon Stowell