80W90 gear oil?

Hi, I am trying to put my 1962 beetle back together and had a question regarding transaxle fluid. The manual calls for 90 weight hypoid gear oil. My father has some 80W90 in his garage, is this ok to use? It does say its hypoid.

The car has been sitting for 20 years so I think a change is due.

I made a post earlier about freeing an engine that has become locked up from sitting so long. I put ATF in the spark plug holes and let it soak. It took

4 days then it just came loose. I finally got the body back on and the gas tank hooked up and started it today. The darn thing starts right up and runs beautifully! The car smoked like nothing I've ever seen until it burned the ATF out of the cylinders. It left puddles on the floor, filled the garage with smoke and even left the whole rear of the car cover with an oily film! I felt like Dr. Frankenstein "It's alive!" It did stop smoking after many minutes, so I'm very happy.
Reply to
hetamila

Doesn't Castrol still make a GL4 80W90 oil? I haven't used up my last bottle but that's what it is, I think.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I bought some GL-4 from napa

Picture of bottle