Valve Cover Gasket

Aloha I have a 90 yj with the 4.2L engine (metal valve cover). I had the valve cover off about 2 years ago and replaced the gasket when I changed lifters, but it is now apparently leaking in the rear. I was given some instructions from this group on the right cleaning procedure and the right sealant to use on the cork gasket, but I cant find the response (may have been Mike). Could someone please repeat the instructions and the recommended sealant. I remember one of the instructions was to let it sit for 24 hours to cure before using. Thanks Joe in Maui

Reply to
Joe and Joann

You might get away with just tightening up the bolts again, I'll bet you find some finger loose.

Other than that, you want the parts super clean. Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc. will do it.

I use sensor safe RTV to skim both sides of the cork gasket and I wait the 24 hour cure time. One brand of RTV is permatex ultra black.

Mike

Mike Romain

I use a nut driver to tighten valve covers, or the proper torque wrench if there is a spec. for it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton